Thread: Newangle of error 11004-

Default Newangle of error 11004-

I am new to the forum, but have looked at thread in 2005 when this error was a problem. Sorry for the length of this.

I have had Spybot for years ,(yes I gave a donation because it was so good) but I didn't know it had so many features. I use it as an extra ad hoc security check usually after a lot of internet activity, often on a daily basis. I do everything manually.

However, I have had my computer in for repair and when I got it back I had 19 links on my website from 7 product owners using ClickBank (distribution centre, I guess you would call it), came up with this socket error 11004 overnight. I have other products and other clickBank products not identified as affected. There is no pattern as they are on a few different pages. If it wasn't for my excellent link checker these links would check out as ok and I am still linked to them with my id.

Note, the techs disconnected my paid subscription virus checker and put something else on so don't know how long I was vulnerable when tried to take it off to when I reinstalled mine again.

The reason I suspect Spybot is because ClickBank did have problem with Spybot on vendor's sites some time ago (I think), but didn't affect me.

I did a lot of technical tests (supplied) and my web host and my connection to CickBank are ok. Tests show the product sites returned a 303 error saying they have been moved permanently. The owners have confirmed they haven't been moved and all looks ok on their side. So they (well me) have been redirected to someone else robbing me of commission (potentially).

I have Spybot 4.1 installed but I accidentally downloaded the update for "the vision impaired". I use internet explorer - latest.

In 2005 it was mentioned on this forum that there was a bug found in registry files and could only be removed with a free product. The troubleshooting was too much for me and using advanced setting a bit scary given the warning.

I reinstalled a new version of Spybot and now do not have access to all the files that have been immunised over the years, well over 1,000.

Now of course Spybot may not be a problem at all. Has anyone got any ideas? Should I disconnect? Also there was mention of proxy servers etc. So may need help with troubleshooting.

Hello Kadija,

I am sorry, but your post is that long, that when i am at the end i have forgotten what your problem is. ;-)

Anyway thank you very much for your donation you have made in the past.

You have mentioned a problem about a socket error 11004.
    This might happen in Spybot when you update.

Please take a look at the security settings of your firewall (if you are using one) and make sure that Spybot-S&D is not blocked. That should help to get into the updates. If Spybot-S&D is not blocked it is also possible that our server is temporarily not available. Please try again a few hours later.

If this does not help please download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Further you have mentioned Clickbank.
    Spybot detects Clickbank as a Tracking Cookie.
    It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Immunize" page. Checking the checkbox will enable the BrowserHelper, a drop down menu will appear giving you some options. You should select "Block all bad pages silently". With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.

If you probably have the immunization activated and do not want that please run Spybot-S&D and select "Spybot-S&D" --> "Immunize" in the navigation bar on the left. There you will find a drop down menu. Please select "Ask for blocking confirmation". If you want to visit a blocked website choose "Allow". Hope this solves the problem. If this doesn't work please untick the checkbox and hit "Undo" in the same section of Spybot-S&D. But Warning: now the bad downloads won't be blocked any longer! Maybe you have to restart your computer now. Then try again to open your favourite pages.

Hope that helps. :-)

If you still have questions don't hesitate to ask - but please try to describe your problem a bit shorter and explicit. Thanks. :-)

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot