Thread: Spybot Hosts file and DNS Client

Default Spybot Hosts file and DNS Client

When the Spybot Hosts file is used, does Spybot automatically disable the DNS client, or is it necessary to disable it manually?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

No, Spybot does not automatically disable the DNS client. Personally, I have never experienced any problems using Spybot's HOSTS file on a Windows XP Home that would indicate that I should even consider disabling the DNS Client.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    No, Spybot does not automatically disable the DNS client. Personally, I have never experienced any problems using Spybot's HOSTS file on a Windows XP Home that would indicate that I should even consider disabling the DNS Client.
    Thanks for this. Personally, I use Hostsman in conjunction with the MVPS hosts file, but I used to use the Spybot hosts file myself, and recently recommended it to someone as a particularly simple and quick way of getting hosts file protection. (I didn't recall any noticeable slowdown with Spybot either, but wasn't sure whether this was because Spybot automatically disabled the DNS Client, or just because the file wasn't particularly large. Now I know.)

Thanks again. I'll pass this information on.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The MVPS HOSTS file currently is a touch over two and a half (2 1/2) times the size of Spybot's HOSTS file. So I guess, all things considered equal (never actually the case), you can judge from the sizes that Spybot's HOSTS file would only have 40% of the impact on the system as the MVPS HOSTS file does.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan D View Post
    When the Spybot Hosts file is used, does Spybot automatically disable the DNS client, or is it necessary to disable it manually?
    You should never disable the DNS Client service. There are numerous websites that spread misinformation about why people using a large hosts file should disable it.