Thread: Beta auto install diconnects Spyware Doctor

Default Beta auto install diconnects Spyware Doctor

I have used Spybot Search and Destroy for more years than I can count.

I have always had the beta box checked.

A few weeks ago, I updated SS&D. I noticed that the (dos) screen opened up and SSD placed something there.

Since then, anytime I run Spybot, it disconnects Spyware Doctor.

I have carefully un-installed and re-installed both programs.

Some people will think I'm nuts for listing the following but in the last ten years, I have found no single program or one does all that can catch all the problems.

Before the beta update, I have successfully ran Norton, AVG, Spyware Doctor, Zone Alarm free, Window Washer, Ad-Aware Pro, Spyware Blaster, and Webroot 5.5. Other programs have come and gone without any problems. The only program that I would like to use as well is Avast but it is not compatible with Norton.

I keep all versions current, all uploads current daily and I am kind of stuck. I know the value of Spybot SD, and I hesitate to go online without it.

Although sometimes slowing down my duo 2.8 with 2 gig ram, I have had minimal crashes throughout the years.

Is anyone having this problem and is there a solution or is there a problem elsewhere. Remember though, only when I run an SSD scan does Spyware Doctor get disconnected.
    Last edited by b4dawn; 2007-08-08 at 20:59. Reason: grammar

Hi there.
    Quote Originally Posted by b4dawn View Post
    The only program that I would like to use as well is Avast but it is not compatible with Norton.
    Also, as with resident firewalls, you do not want to have two anti-virus programs installed, only one.

You can run an on-line AV scanner to cover all bases.

I will leave a note for Team regarding the problem you are experiencing.

Edit: Do you have both Spybot-S&D's resident teatimer and Spyware Doctor's resident protection enabled?

Cheers.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-08-08 at 21:45. Reason: asked a question
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Hi

I have used TeaTimer for the entire time I have used Spybot SD.

I can't find a resident on Spyware Doctor, unless the immunization on is a resident.

Thank you for the quick reply.

It seems that since Vista has been released, all the programs I have used in perfect harmony are suddenly not in harmony.

What would be your suggestion for an all in one that works with Spybot

Thank you.

Hello,

could you give us a little more information about the issue or how to recreate it?
    For instance what exactly do you mean with
    anytime I run Spybot, it disconnects Spyware Doctor
    , does Spyware Doctor OnGuard shutdown or does the main Spyware Doctor application shutdown when it runs while Spybot scans?

From your last post I assume you are using Windows Vista. Which versions of Spybot and Spyware Doctor are you using? Which other background protection software is running? When exactly does Spyware Doctor get disconnected?

A test on WinXP with Spyware Doctor OnGuard and Teatimer beta activated and scanning with Spybot 1.4 or Spyware Doctor 5.0.1.200 did not show any issues.
    Scanning simultaneously with Spybot and Spyware Doctor while having the Spyware Doctor OnGuard and Teatimer running in background did not show any issues either.

A test on Vista will follow when you have provided a little more detail on how to reproduce the described issue.

Note: It is not recommended to run 2 or more scanners at once since this will usually take a lot longer to finish than scanning sequentially.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default spyware doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    Hello,

could you give us a little more information about the issue or how to recreate it?
    For instance what exactly do you mean with , does Spyware Doctor OnGuard shutdown or does the main Spyware Doctor application shutdown when it runs while Spybot scans?

From your last post I assume you are using Windows Vista. Which versions of Spybot and Spyware Doctor are you using? Which other background protection software is running? When exactly does Spyware Doctor get disconnected?

A test on WinXP with Spyware Doctor OnGuard and Teatimer beta activated and scanning with Spybot 1.4 or Spyware Doctor 5.0.1.200 did not show any issues.
    Scanning simultaneously with Spybot and Spyware Doctor while having the Spyware Doctor OnGuard and Teatimer running in background did not show any issues either.

A test on Vista will follow when you have provided a little more detail on how to reproduce the described issue.

Note: It is not recommended to run 2 or more scanners at once since this will usually take a lot longer to finish than scanning sequentially.
    Hi and thank you.
    I still run WinXP. I thought perhaps mods made to SSD for Vista had done something.

I have always had Resident & Tea Timer running since I first downloaded a long time ago. I have always had beta version downloads checked.

One day a few weeks ago during a regular morning update of SSD, I noticed the black screen come up dos prompt? and something being added to it.

From that time on, Spybot has questioned many system changes per day, a lot more than normal. Being really familiar with the program I thought this was unusual.

I pressed deny every time I was not doing anything system wise.

A message started coming up on SSD, Warning, something wrong in beta.sbi, (paraphrase).

After a few days of these messages, I had to uninstall SSD and install 1.4 first on top, then, after not working, a clean install. There were no more messages but when I run Spybot, always the first program in the morning, I noticed it started disconnecting Spyware Doctor.

I tried to run Spyware Doctor and Spybot together same results as not running a scan on Spyware Doctor, Spybot toward the end of the scan disabled Spyware Doctor with no message but when I checked SD, it said disconnected.

I tried a fresh insall of SD today and same thing. If you can't replicate it, it must be something on my system that Spybot is going after. SD is tied to the system and can't be shut off but can be disconnected.

I'm stumped, everything else is OK.

hi,

hm let's see
    One day a few weeks ago during a regular morning update of SSD, I noticed the black screen come up dos prompt? and something being added to it.

From that time on, Spybot has questioned many system changes per day, a lot more than normal. Being really familiar with the program I thought this was unusual I pressed deny every time I was not doing anything system wise.
    This appears to have been the Teatimer Beta, maybe we can get some answers if we see the resident log.
    Please attach the resident log to your next post, you can find it in advanced mode in tools - view report - view previous report - resident.log

A message started coming up on SSD, Warning, something wrong in beta.sbi, (paraphrase).
    this is most likely unrelated , this was caused by a new detection command, Spybot versions which do not support this give an error message and then ignore the command.

After a few days of these messages, I had to uninstall SSD and install 1.4 first on top, then, after not working, a clean install. There were no more messages but when I run Spybot, always the first program in the morning, I noticed it started disconnecting Spyware Doctor.
    Did you uninstall Spybot because of the Teatimer messages or where there other issues that made you reinstall Spybot?
    How does the disconnection of Spyware Doctor behave, is it still possible to scan with Spyware Doctor when it got disconnected or does the OnGuard still work? Does it start automatically again or is it required to be started manually?

[...]toward the end of the scan disabled Spyware Doctor with no message but when I checked SD, it said disconnected.
    This is actually really odd since Spybot only scans in this stage. Please scan with single filesets to see if Spyware Doctor gets disconnected if a certain fileset is used or if it always occurs when Spybot scans.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.