Thread: To run in Safe-mode or not?

Default To run in Safe-mode or not?

Hello to all.

I want to ask a few questions about S&D so I was hoping you could help me with this.
    1) Should I run in safe mode in order for S&D to run efficiently and effectively?
    2)Should I run in Advanced Mode when running S&D?
    3)Are there any guides as to how to run S&D in advanced move?(Or is normal mode good enough to detect harmful spyware?)

As the saying goes "It is better to be safe than sorry", hence, I am not taking any chances.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

As far as I know, the primary advantages to running Spybot-S&D in Safe Mode are:
    1. If Spybot-S&D will not run properly normal mode it may run in Safe Mode.
    2. Sometimes when attempts to "Fix selected problems" are made in normal mode and they fail, they can be fixed in Safe Mode.

However, there is also a possibility that because not everything is loaded in Safe Mode, that Spybot-S&D could fail to identify potential problems when run in Safe Mode.
    • I seem to remember an instance (although I can't find the thread) were someone ran a scan in normal mode and a problem was identified that could not be fixed. The suggestion was made to attempt to do a "Check for problems" and a "Fix selected problems" in Safe Mode to attempt to overcome the problem. However, the poster reported that the same problem was not being picked up doing a "Check for problems" in Safe Mode.

There is no difference in the actual scanning whether it is done in Default mode or Advanced mode. However, Advanced mode allows the user to alter certain configuration settings that do affect the scan whether the actual scan is done in Default mode or Advanced mode. If you go into Spybot-S&D > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings, there certain settings that change the way Spybot-S&D scans. The settings categories that can affect the way a scan is done are:
    • File Sets - Change which categories of threats should be searched for.
    • Settings - All the important settings.
    • Directories - Define which folders are used for downloads.
    • Ignore products - Ignore some products during the scan.
    • Ignore cookies - Ignore some browser cookies during the scan
    • Ignore file extensions - Define file extensions to be ignored during the Usage Tracks scan.
    • Ignore single entries - Allow previously ignored entries to be scanned for again.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi there. Thanks for replying so quickly in my thread.
    Am I right to say that running in Default mode will most definitely produce the same results as advanced mode?

Also, does it mean that running in both normal and safe mode would produce no advantage? I heard that spyware may come with rootkits that will help disguise them as legitmate, therefore, I am rather concerned about this.