Thread: Why does my Computer restart during a Spybot scan?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Why does my Computer restart during a Spybot scan?

Hello,

I am hopeless and finding comparible problems using the Search Function so I am posting a new Topic.

This is the second time I have had this problem in the last two months.

Everything seems to be working fine EXCEPT when I am running a Spybot scan and my computer restarts on its own.

The first time this happened was at the same time as Ad-Aware did a new version Upgrade. Until I discovered and Upgraded Ad-Aware EVERY time I did a Spybot scan my computer would do a restart during the Spybot scan. Once the new version of Ad-Aware was installed NO issues with doing a Spybot scan.

Now today there was an Ad-Aware Software Upgrade and a Windows Update and the issue is happening again. Spybot won't complete and my Computer is restarting.

Even after installing all updates (except IE7 which I have hidden) Spybot is still not completing a scan and my computer is restarting.

Am I the only one suffering with this issue?

Please request any additional required information and thanks in advance for all help offered.
    Last edited by Oppressed; 2007-08-15 at 23:04.

Red face

This is nuts ... or my computer is haunted ...

After finishing the Windows Update, including restarting my computer, I checked the Update page to make SURE I had completely Installed all 9 Priority Updates (which it said I had).

Now on the 3rd try to do a Spybot scan, this time when the computer came back from the restart I have the Windows Update message again!!! (IT wasn't there on the last 2 tries.)

I checked and the 2 Updates (KB938127 & KB938828) which the bubble indicated I needed to install were both already installed according to the Add /Remove programs list ...

I shut the computer down and then powered up and the bubble is gone but I am still unable to successfully complete a Spybot scan.

I give up ...

I removed Ad-Aware 2007 and Spybot S & D still won't complete a scan without Windows (XP) restarting. The restart seems to happen at different point in the scan every time.

Hello,

Spybot - Search & Destroy is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

The problem can happen in both desktops and laptops, although the problem is more prevalent in laptops.

If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:

- Mobile Pentium III-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4
    - Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
    - Mobile AMD

Take a look at following suggestion by 100mill:

- Notebook CPU running hot during Spybot - Search & Destroy scan
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1816

If you have a desktop consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not too dusty. Doubt that this can be a problem, read the following threads:
    - Spybot - Search & Destroy causes shut down
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2163
    - PC crashes while Spybot - Search & Destroy is running
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2230

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.
    A nice clean out like this may solve the overheating, but it may be necessary to go a little further. (I've been down this road myself once). It's very important that there is good thermal contact between the processor and the heat sink. If clearing the dust doesn't fix the problem (it didn't in my case), you could try removing the heat sink from the processor. Scrape off any existing remains of the old thermal gel on each surface, and replace it with a very tiny smear of fresh thermal gel on the processor. Then replace the heat sink. That fixed it, for me.