Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A few suggestions for next build (possibly 1.5)

Maybe a Black & White List log(if that's possible),that could be easily posted if people are having problems.(with remembered decisions.)

Thumbs up

My suggestions are:

• Shell integration, which would give the ability to check one file, many files/folders via right-click.
    • Modify the download-updates-dialog to provide more information, like bytes/sec received so that one might know when to cancle and try another mirror.
    • Modify the download-updates-dialog such that 'Cancle' works differently from how it's implemented now. - Sometimes during a 'forever download' issue, you cannot cancle the 'hung download'. You end up having to kill the process.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

DELTRON:

Quote Originally Posted by DELTRON View Post
    My suggestions are:

• Shell integration, which would give the ability to check one file, many files/folders via right-click.
    Something like this may be difficult to implement since unlike anti-virus programs and some other anti-spyware programs, Spybot does not do an in-depth scan drives/folders/files to begin with. For a brief description of how Spybot scans see:

There is a special scan for Spyware installers (files not installed yet), that does scan folders. There is more on what this feature scans for here:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default some suggestions for next build

My suggestions for a new version:

- permit immunisation for Firefox 1.x and 2.x
    - improvements to the detection against inactive spyware
    - Adding a rootkit detection
    - full support for all operating systems, in particular Windows Vista

Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Default request for next version

May not sound like a big deal, but I would like an option to have new entries to the hosts file added automagically. Others have requested an automatic update -- I roll my own with a scheduled task with "/autoupdate /autoimmunize". That updates everything except the hosts file, which I still have to do manually. Maybe a command line "/AutoUpdHostFile"

I'd like as much as possible of the real-time protection done without requiring human intervention. I reluctantly turned teatimer off long ago, because I get updates for antivirus and other software several times a day, and it was just too many questions. Also I was worried about the updates that happen when I am not around -- I'm a big fan of automatic overnite updates.

In general, I think real-time protection needs more attention than scanning & removal. Too many recent nasties are too hard to remove, so if I think I've been hit I'll bypass the removal routines and back up my data, boot from cd, reformat & re-install, etc.

I also agree with the requests for firefox support & rootkit detection, although I am worried about how long a scan would take with rootkit checking included.
    Last edited by Lord Cobol; 2006-09-11 at 21:28. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Something like this may be difficult to implement since unlike anti-virus programs and some other anti-spyware programs, Spybot does not do an in-depth scan drives/folders/files to begin with.
    Ah okay, I wasn't familiar with the scan method, but that certainly makes sense. - Thanks for the info

I wish higher detection rates. I've tested the new beta but I did not get satisfactory results.....

Spybot does catches wide ranges of Malwares but once when I scanned my PC with SuperAntiSpyware it catched 3 trojans, Yazzel toolbar and browser hijacker. I wonder why SPybot did not catch it?

I also suggest, that Spybot be converted to payware version. The developers work hard to develop the software and the receive only a few donations for generous people...........

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    user announced this:

"i was wondering if in the updates portion that you could include either a select all updates button, or download all updates button, it would beat running the wizard each time. thanks for hearing me out."
    I agree with this.

I'd like either the possibility to ask for auto update (but not as the default choice) or at least the equivalent of 'check all' on the updates page.

Default Suggestions

Hi,

I like Spybot, so keep up the good work. Here are some suggestion for changes I'd like to see:

When I click the Search for Updates button, an Update progress dialog pops up, then if there are no updates, the No newer updates available, OK dialog pops up on top of that, and I must click the OK button to continue. Instead, I wish SS&D would just simply display the Update progress dialog, and when searching for updates has completed correctly, indicate something like "Search for updates successful, No newer updates are available", directly in the table where available updates are usually displayed, instead of having to click OK on a dialog that seems to be of such little consequence. However, if there is some failure with the search for updates, this would be of larger consequence, and a pop up dialog should announce the failure and force the user to click OK.

When switching to the Immunize portion, it automatically loads the current Immunization and if re-immunization is required, a pop up dialog, on which I must click OK, indicates this. I wish the this popup dialog would have the OK button as well as an Immunize now button, which would serve both as clicking on OK to ack the dialog, and initiate immunization too. This would save me from having to click OK on the dialog, then click the Immunize button. However, I have noticed that I haven't had to do this for a while, so maybe SS&D is automatically immunizing when the updates are applied. If so, then scratch this idea.

In Settings>Ignore products, there is a huge heap of various icky things with checkboxes. This appears very well organized. However, I would add just one more tab to this screen, and name it something like "All Allowed Products". Under this tab, I would display only the items from the All products tab, which are currently checked. If none of the items were checked, I would display something like "All products may be found during a scan". Or, perhaps better or easier than adding yet another tab, would be to change the table that displays the checkboxes/products/category, so that clicking on the column header sorts the list according to that column. If the check boxes were given their own column, then a user could sort the list of products by their checked/not checked status, and easily see which were checked, or easily see that none were checked. Or, the text background for each of the tabs could change color depending on the status of products being checked or not. That is, if a particular tab has products in it that are checked, then the background color of the tab could change to yellow, and if all products under a particuar tab were checked, then the tab background color could change to red, or some scheme like this. Anyway, something like this would make it quick and easy to verify what is checked and what is not, or to verify that nothing is checked.

In Settings>Ignore cookies, I wish there was the capability to delete a cookie from the list (which would delete it from the computer). I also wish there was a way the cookies could be tested directly from the list. Perhaps an extra column could be added, which allows for a button called "test" for each of the cookies. This button would open the Internet browser and take the user to the web site where the cookie came from. Then, the user could decide if they want to keep the cookie, or nuke it.

I wish the secure shredder were integrated with the right-click context menu. This way, I could right-click on a file's icon, and select either Delete, or "Secure Shredder Delete" or some such name. Then, the file could be immediately shredded. Or, perhaps there's a way to use the "Send to" function to handle this?

That's all I have for now, thanks...

Question Secure Shredder for Free Space

Right now, you can only shred targeted files. Lots of programs shred "free space." I don't know if it improves the performance of the computer, or if it is more secure than defragging but....