Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A few suggestions for next build (possibly 1.5)

Default Firefox

It think spybot should include resident protection for mozilla firefox, as well as ie and opera. firefox users, like me, would appreciate the added security a lot

thx

Quote Originally Posted by David Arnatt
    I'm not sure if this isthe reason but have you seen how secure Firefox is?
    It's not invincible but its fairly secure
    Without wanting to 'cause any flame war, BUT there are less flaws and security holes in Opera than in FireFox. Just a matter of fact.

Compare

http://secunia.com/product/4227/

to

http://secunia.com/product/4932/

Jenny

Default Beta release?

Will the beta come out anytime soon?

looking forward to it:D

I also think that the SS&D Resident should have the ability to auto-update - that would be a really great enhancement in a future release.

Almost all security products I have installed - ZoneAlarm, McAfee VirusScan, Windows Defender (Beta), Ewido - have auto-update capabilities.

I have installed SS&D on a number of friends' computers. Whenever I visit them I check their systems. And it is 100% sure each time SS&D definitions are way out of time. I tell them, I show them, they do it once or twice, then it's forgotten.

I have no problem updating SS&D on my computers, but it's really for non-technical, average computer users that this feature is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by pwillener
    I check their systems. And it is 100% sure each time SS&D definitions are way out of time. I tell them, I show them, they do it once or twice, then it's forgotten.
    Haha! Pwillener, you are a student of human nature! That is very funny—because you are so right, and it is so true. I think people don't do nice easy maintenance on their computers, just so they can give nice easy money to people who help them out!

My problem is that I usually refuse the money. I need it, but I don't take it.

I'd like to see some simple changes, for example:

1) Why are the registry keys for Spybot stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PepiMK Software\SpybotSnD? What's wrong with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? This becomes annoying for multi-user systems. I'd prefer to have an administrator on the machine control Spybot settings for all users on the machine. This becomes even more annoying if Spybot has to go through a proxy to obtain updates as the proxy information needs to be put in for each individual user, which brings me to my next request.

2) Have Spybot detect IE's proxy settings and use them. If the computer is on a Windows domain, authenticate with the proxy using the credentials used to log into the domain. At the very least maybe just have spybot automatically detect proxy settings on the network or accept an automatic proxy configuration URL.

Default Recommends for next update

Here's something that Spybot never used to do but it does now, and it infuriates me.

Suppose - like me - you use Spybot to regularly disinfect machines - which is does wonderfully, btw.

Suppose these machines don't have internet access, or, worse still, you can't get them on a network because of malware and virus infections.

Spybot is useless here - because as far as I can tell, without the definitions file being updated, you can't run it (or is there an override function somewhere I don't know about?).

Assuming there isn't, it would be very useful to be able to run it at least once before being forced to update the definitions.

Just my 2c worth

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

wcserv:

My 2¢ worth (using your words).

"Here's something that … infuriates me" (your words also):

People writing negative caustic comments rather the just asking in a civil tone how that they can accomplish what they are trying to do!!!

I'll assume that you have some external storage device, such as a jump drive, that contains a copy of the "spybotsd14.exe" installation program, that you are using to install Spybot on "… machines don't have internet access…".

If I understand what you are attempting to accomplish, all you have to do is also include (on that jump drive) the latest copy of the manual updates to the detections updates and execute that program after the installation of Spybot. The file that should be downloaded and included on the jump drive is "spybotsd_includes.exe".

You can download the manual detection update file (as opposed to the integrated update file) from safer-networking.org as follows:
    • Go to:
    • The item that you should download is:
      • Detection updates 2006-03-24 - product description
        md5: ED910B125F9314FB79F0A0A4CA91C79C

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.
    • This manual update file is updated around the same time that the updates are made available via the integrated update facility. The description changes on the download page but the download url remains constant.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Well, it does infuriate me. Quite why you took that to be anything other than civil is beyond me... If you're not open to negative comments, then don't have a 'suggestions' area on your VB, and you won't get them.

All comments/suggestions are welcome.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016