Thread: User Profiles corrupted

Unhappy User Profiles corrupted

I installed the 1.5.2 update today and I'm afraid I went through the next buttons too fast without realizing I had to click on the buttons above before hitting next. There wasn't a back button so there wasn't much I could do at that point. I just continued from there. My computer OS is XP Home and I have 4 user profiles and tonight my son discovered that his user profile was corrupted as is another profile that wasn't password protected. The two profiles that had passwords are fine. When I go to the start button, right click and hit explore it's as if every file for these two profiles were deleted! Is there anything I can do to restore them? The profiles are still listed but apparently empty. When I go to My Computer, right click on properties and check advanced - under user profiles, all four profiles are listed there but the two that have problems have "backup" listed under status. Any suggestions?

Hello,

During the scan you can not access other user accounts.
    After finishing the scan, please close Spybot completely and reboot your computer.
    Then you will have access to your user accounts again.
    Otherwise this link should help.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I got exactly the same problem, couldn't describe it better. Usernames without password have disappeared and I am sure it happened during the installation of the latest spybot version.
    I started the installation offline, then the installation programm couldn't find files. Then I went back online , the installation continued, then I was again offline when the programm couldn't finish. Then I moved again online and it completed. May be this repeated off/online moving is the reason.
    I did all this on the administrator level (xp).
    I wonder if it could be useful to go back to the latest restoring point?

After I had some crashes yesterday my patience came to an end.
    Everything's alright now, my PC is back to normal and all user profiles are back and available.

This is what I did:
    1. Restored my system from a date one week ago.
    2. Completely REMOVED Spybot SD.

I use this programe for years and was happy with the older versions. But the more functions and tools the less stable this seems to be. In addition to this I must admit that I am not a real expert on this since I studied only engineering.
    May be I or somebody else (there are also children who use this pc) made one or more wrong decisions when this tea-timer popped up repeatedly.

I will now run this pc for a while without any spy searching tool. Spybot didn't find anything in the past 2 years anyway.