Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Fixed] RC1 beta testing

Default [Fixed] RC1 beta testing

ok, first thing that jumps out at me. Is the HOST FILE.

I did a full uninstall of last beta client, to include deleting all hidden file, clean registry and so forth, prior to installing the newest client (RC1). I made sure the HOST FILE was cleaned out, to include DISABLING SpywareBlaster's too! reboot, installed new stuff.

I noticed that RC1 had some HOST FILE entried that did get installed during install, but it was a previouse version, which had alot of errors/typos in it, which has been corrected by you already. Problem is, once I updated and installed the latest host file, these were still in place.

To clean them out, I had to REMOVE the host file list completely, from with in the GUI. Then ADD it. Once this was done, was it all correct.

I know when you made version 1.4 it would check the host file for dublicates. I guess if there is to TYPOs, that you have to REMOVE the host file and ADD the new one, to get rid of the bad additions.

So I guess the FINAL release should INCLUDE the latest host file in it, that doesnt have the typo/error's in it.

Whats up with "CDILLA" and "SideStep", why are they always checked? I do uncheck them and dont seem to have a problem, but, I guess I have never had these get installed on my rig either.

Install was clean, nice job! So far, so good!! (still testing)

How do we implement the ERASURE shredder? Is this option there yet?

Hmmm... not sure I understand. The installation itself does nothing to the hosts file actually Did you immunize as part of the first start wizard? That would be the reason for adding stuff to the hosts file then.

Regarding removal of entries: there's indeed an undo option, might have to check that.

Regarding CDilla etc., see FAQ #051 :D

And no, Eraser support is not integrated yet, that'll be an update to tools.dll. Remember, this is intended to be a release, not a beta version, so it won't include beta features (that will be a beta update then).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Thanks for the info on Cdilla and sidestep!

1) Host file: I made sure that the host file was cleaned out, so it was empty prior to installing the lastest install of RC1. I DID NOT tell it to immunize during the install wizard, but suspect that it did so on its own. There is an option to immunize on program start. I didnt check this but maybe, this feature does it even when its not checked.

2) Shredder: Ok, I thought it was already in the last TOOLS update and thought we would see the option on this RC so it could be included with 1.5 Final. But it sounds like this was just wishful thinking on my part.

I will do a few more check on things, then uninstall and reinstall again, taking some screen shots along the way, just to confirm this host file thing.

ok, there is still a problem with the cleaning of internet history.

clean1: Shows full scan and cleaned as normally would do
    clean2: Shows there is still one thing left in internet cache
    clean3: Shows HISTORY no cleaned at all! Same as with last beta version
    unstall leftover: Show there is still a registry entry present

I presume these registy keys are needed cause of the other files you keep, but thought I would make mention of it so you can confirm this, or note that a change was needed in uninstaller, should these not be needed

I have made multiple attempts and each is the same, no cleaning of the History!

This is WinXP Pro, SP2, fully updated. Surfing with IE6. Crap Cleaner does get everything cleaned.

Hmmm... reminder to myself: other thread.
    edit: update bugtracker entry

Uninstaller: that information is not that important, so I guess it could be removed as well

testing with the BrowserCI tool again. There are some changes to how it works.

If I hit the PURGE ALL it will do it and according to BrowserCI's GUI, its all gone, nothing left. Going into windows does actually show the HISTORY untouched and still present. Once again the GUI shows its been cleaned, but its still present. If I restart the BrowserCI, it still says its clean!

Going into Windows? Which History are you speaking about exactly? Windows MRU are not even found in BrowserCI, since that is only for browser stuff.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxUSERNAMExx\Local Settings\History

This is the path to my history, as seen in "clean3.jpg" above
    Last edited by wk357mag; 2007-08-21 at 15:13.