Thread: Problems with spybot

Default Problems with spybot

Just very recently when I double click on my spybot icon on my desktop to start it,,it sounds as if my computer is getting ready to shut down,,I'm using 1.4 and have all the latest updates,,this just started happening the other day,,I tried all the suggested measures I read about in another posting,,and the admins even sent me the same info via e-mail,,I uninstalled and reinsalled spybot but still get the same results,,my computer does not shut down,,it sounds like it going to,,I'm pretty computer illiterate when it comes to trying to explain things,,my cpu makes clicking sounds like it does when shutting down normally,,if anyone can understand that,,,like i said this happens when I start spybot,,,not while its actually running,,does anyone else have this problem as its completely new to me,,thanks,,btw can someone tell me what,,"TeaTimer" is,,I see it mentioned here sometimes.
    Last edited by firebirddriver; 2007-08-21 at 23:16. Reason: additional question

Hello,

Spybot - Search & Destroy is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

The problem can happen in both desktops and laptops, although the problem is more prevalent in laptops.

If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:

- Mobile Pentium III-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4
    - Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
    - Mobile AMD

Take a look at following suggestion by 100mill:

- Notebook CPU running hot during Spybot - Search & Destroy scan
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1816

If you have a desktop consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not too dusty. Doubt that this can be a problem, read the following threads:
    - Spybot - Search & Destroy causes shut down
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2163
    - PC crashes while Spybot - Search & Destroy is running
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2230

About TeaTimer:
    The resident section of Spybot - Search & Destroy is devided into two parts: the SDHelper and the TeaTimer.

The *Resident TeaTimer* is a Spybot-S&D tool perpetually monitoring the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
    - automatically kill the process
    - or generally allow the process to run

There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change.

As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank you for the info but I already did what you stated from reading it in another thread,,my problem isn't that my computer is shutting down,,its when spybot initially starts that I get this noise from my cpu sounding like its getting ready to shut down,,this doesn't happen with any other programs and it never happened with spybot before.

Hello,

It is noisy because it uses a lot of CPU at start.
    So if it does not shut down and is only noisy everthing should be ok. ;-)

You can try the following:

- Open Spybot-S&D, then leave it alone
    - Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
    - Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Priority..."
    - On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
    - Go back to the already-open Spybot-S&D, and run a scan.

This can also be done like this:
    Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode".
    Now select "Settings" -->"Settings" from the navigation bar on the left.
    Under "Main Settings" you will find the point "Scan priority".
    There you should choose "Lower" by ticking the checkbox.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks,,I'll leave everything as it is,,the only reason I became concerned is that the cpu never made any "noises" before when I opened spybot,,again thanks