Thread: Strange Problem

Default Strange Problem

This is a strange problem that occurs on my computer since i cant remember but it seems to happen when certain circumstances are met. First of all, what happens is, my computer crashes (not totally, just partially) things still work, the main thing is that my internet shuts down,(for my computer only) music shuts off sometimes and sometimes i cant load an internet browser, all programs that connect to the internet can no longer connect, it is not a problem with my router, it is not a problem with my internet connection, its a problem with my computer. The trigger seems to be - Once i reach a certain amount of information sent to and from my computer it crashes and the only thing i can do to fix it is restart. Things that seem to speed up the crash process are: Downloading especially, i can download a big file for a half hour and my computer will crash most likely, Gaming, i can go for about 2-3 hours gaming depending on which game it is, but my computer doesn't crash if it isn't an internet game And server hosting, this is a big problem, i've got a very fast internet connection and a very fast computer, so recently my buddies have chosen me to host their game servers temporarily, after about half an hour today the computer crashed and the server went down. Sometimes this doesnt happen, i dont know the circumstances to turn it off, it seems which ever my computers mood is determines this. its a fairly specific problem and i feel like i'll have trouble finding the solution by simply "googleing" it

I sugest you to read this and follow the instructions.

Hello Araknid,
    Quote Originally Posted by Araknid View Post
    The trigger seems to be - Once i reach a certain amount of information sent to and from my computer it crashes and the only thing i can do to fix it is restart. Things that seem to speed up the crash process are: Downloading especially, i can download a big file for a half hour and my computer will crash most likely, Gaming, i can go for about 2-3 hours gaming depending on which game it is, but my computer doesn't crash if it isn't an internet game And server hosting, this is a big problem, i've got a very fast internet connection and a very fast computer, so recently my buddies have chosen me to host their game servers temporarily, after about half an hour today the computer crashed and the server went down.
    Please give specifics about the computer in question.
    Operating System/Hard Drive/Server/RAM/etc.

From the information you have already given, the machine sounds stressed from overload.

Servers are not my forte, but are you using a load balancer?

Best regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-08-28 at 09:29. Reason: clarify
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Operatins System: Windows XP Home Edition with Service pack 2 Harddrive 70 GB NTFS with 6.8 GB of free space Server: Im hosting a game server for a game called Tom Clancy Raven Shield, but its been crashing way before this, the only way i can link the crashes is the general amount of information sent over the internet per restart. I mean stuff like, i leave my computer on over night and its connected to MSN, i wake up and its crashed, its always done that. RAM 1 GB 500 MHz (2x 512 sticks). No im not using a load balancer, i dont know what that is lol, i've got an old graphics card, Radion X300, so there should be no overheating problems in that field. 3.0 GHz Processor dual core, Intel Pentium 4

Things i forgot to mention - It never goes to blue screen, ever. Programs connected to the internet simply freeze and disconnect. Since i posted the original problem, i have NOT crashed, i've played a low end game called Diablo 2 for about 4 hours, afked for the rest of the time, i estimate that by the time i wake up in 6 hours it will be crashed due to being connected to MSN.
    Last edited by Araknid; 2007-08-28 at 10:36. Reason: Left Something Out

Well, i dont know if will help but i was reading about the updates of this game and on v1.1 its says...

Version 1.1 Fixes/Tweaks/Additions
    -----------------------------------------
    - Fixed floating elements (HBS/Helmets/Grenades)
    - Fixed connection for slow PCs (which caused a black screen)
    - Fixed getting stuck on ladders
    - Fixed switching weapon
    - Fixed sound Error Messages
    - Fixed some cheat issues
    - Fixed death physics improvement
    - Misc. network optimization

It could had changed some conf on your computer maybe.

By the way... the most recent version is 1.3
    Last edited by Luiz Cireno; 2007-08-28 at 11:41.

Default Where can i find a "load balancer"

i had brought up a strange problem with disconnecting from my internet a long time ago, and someone on these forums suggested that i download a load balancer, im not sure what one of those are but it certainly sounds like something that would help. and i would rather do the safe thing and ask some trusted people where to get a legit virus free one rather than running a google search

Oops sorry i should probably mention that i have windows XP home edition with service pack 2, and my computer has 1 gig of ram and a 3.0 pentium 4
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-01-07 at 19:10. Reason: Two topics merged for clarity. ;-)

Malware Team-Emeritus

70 GB NTFS with 6.8 GB of free space
    Free up more space and see if it helps.
    扎西德勒 微笑中有阳光 不放弃的人都拥有希望

Please do not message me for help. Create a new topic in the Malware Removal room instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ndmmxiaomayi View Post
    Free up more space and see if it helps.
    Nope, that didnt help, i freed about 15 gigs and did a defrag

Malware Team-Emeritus

Might want to try an older version of the game. Not the best idea, but latest isn't always the best. Not sure if the game allows it though. I don't play games.
    扎西德勒 微笑中有阳光 不放弃的人都拥有希望

Please do not message me for help. Create a new topic in the Malware Removal room instead.