Thread: SmitfraudFix

Default SmitfraudFix

Very strange.

I run McAfee and, a while back, I asked for some help when Spybot first picked that I am infected with Zlob.

The operative, in Bombay or some other place in India, advized me to download and run SmitfraudFix and submit a report.

Well I at least used to trust McAfee, but since finding out that there is a problem with SmitfraudFix here in these forums, I have to wonder who to trust about anything ... well except that I have had Spybot for years and a few other programmes which I have every reason to trust, e.g. RegistryHealer.

Is SmitfraudFix really malware?
    "The unexamined life is not worth living." Socrates

Hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Hiles View Post
    Is SmitfraudFix really malware?
    SmitfraudFix is a tool to remove specific malware.

However, "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance)
    There is always risk involved in installing and removing any software. Even a fix that time has shown to be useful to thousands of users, can present problems to a few or be found to have a bug in development.

Your topic in the malware removal forum: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=17339

That forum's sticky topic requests two logs only, and posting so many times to your own thread can lead our helpers to believe you are already being assisted.

The same sticky topic:
    DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System, a helper will guide you.

I will ask a helper to take a look at the system, and please do not "fix" anything else in the meantime.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Sorry

Sorry Tashi, I'll shut up now.
    "The unexamined life is not worth living." Socrates