Thread: Sony DRM

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by tashi
    I believe bitman was considering that in the rush to find a fix there was the possible potential to cause even more damage.
    True, nobody would want that. A potential approach might be for Spybot to detect and offer to remove the rootkit component only, as Microsoft is apparently safely doing. Removing the "rootkit component", i.e, the cloaking of files, appears straightforward, see Nancy McAleavy's post at: http://www.dozleng.com/updates/topic7048 Once the rootkit has been detected, Spybot could point the user to the eventual Sony uninstaller if a reliable one becomes available. My understanding is that Princeton is working with Sony on this, thus adding credibility which is badly needed. The alternative of course is for Spybot to stay out of this altogether and leave it in the hands of others like Microsoft. The drawback is that while the MS Malicious Software Tool will remove the cloaking, it will not warn users of the remaining XCP which has been classified as malware by CA and others.

Oh well.... no clear answer here, I realize
    Last edited by el cpu; 2005-11-22 at 20:06.