Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: homepage hijacked by: http://awesomehomepage.com/newsletter.php?list=positivethoughts

I am sorry to hear that more and more problems appear..

Looks like a lot got corrupted - and I guess this is mainly because services are failing to start - most probably because of a corrupted registry/corrupted files.
    I really have no clue how this suddenly all happened.. Guess it was already corrupted before.. And as I already explained, it had nothing to do with what Combofix removed - it was mainly what was done to the system before and that last reboot after using Combofix made it final.

No need to reformat - A repair install should normally solve this as well.
    A repair install doesn't remove your files, but it will be a good idea anyway to backup your important files you don't want to loose - this just in case.

Then read here how to perform a repair install:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    Afterwards you should reinstall all Windows updates again.

Sidenote and important note - do not use scanners such as Pestpatrol, True Sword, Uniblue, because I don't like them since I have seen them deleting a lot of false positives as well. Stick with Spybot s&d as your Spyware scanner. Also, don't visit cracksites anymore, because malware is always present there and malware damages A LOT.

i did repair on my pc, but things got only worse. then i reformatted, lost some files because i couldn't copy after the repair.

reformatting ran smoothly. now pc is definitely clean.

thank you for your much appreciated help.

Good everything is Ok now. Guess the damage was worse than expected.

I just hope you keep in mind not to visit cracksites or other illegal sites anymore.. because that's what I already said in my first post - that's where malware is lurking and malware damages A LOT.

Please read my Prevention page with lots of info and tips how to prevent this in the future.
    And if you want to improve speed/system performance after malware removal, take a look here.

Happy Surfing again!