Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spybot will not complete scan

I'm glad that you are still helping us to find the problem. I'm just curious. Why are you so persistent to use Spybot-S&D even if it obviously doesn't work on your system? Your log files did not show any hints of infections as far as I can say.

It seems that we have already checked all possible troubles caused by troublesome files.

There are still many things left which we could try. First some additional questions. What is your CPU specification? Is it a multicore CPU or does it use Hyper-Threading technology? Missing additional support in Spybot-S&D 1.4 could cause troubles with these CPUs. There are some improvements in Spybot-S&D 1.5 RC 1 for these CPUs.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/s...eta/index.html

Before you install it it is recommended to make a real clean installation:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Apart from using the registry patch you should also delete the whole Spybot-S&D program folder.

A second attempt is to locate the problematic file set of the Spybot-S&D detection database. Switch to advanced mode via the menu item "Mode" and then go to "Settings->File Sets".

Try this sequence:

Turn off:

Hijacker.sbi
    HijackersC.sbi
    Malware.sbi
    MalwareC.sbi
    Spybot.sbi
    SpybotsC.sbi

and make a scan. This time it should pass the scan. If it works add the last two entries and scan again. Repeat this until you can say where the problems are.

As you can guess we are now searching for hardware errors. Please use the tool Everest-Home-Edition for an other test:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...-Edition.shtml

As written before physical damages could cause conflicts as well. E.g. a high temperatur could cause
    malfunctions in the CPU and malfunctions in the memory modules. Just use the tool and tell us what is the highest temperature during the Spybot-S&D scan. It is not necessary to post a log this time. Temperatures over 100° Celsius(212° F) are already too high for a stable running of the system.

P.S.: I probably won't be able to answer in the next few days. So be free to make the scan when you have time and if you are in the mood to do this. If the temperature is over the mentioned limit then please don't make anymore scans before you have fixed the hardware problem. Removing the dust has help in similar situations. Again, thank you very much for going through all these troubles.

Oh dear!!! I tried your second option first, unticked said files and ran a scan. This then hung at 5569/36479Ardamax and would not complete the scan.

Thought I might as well try the 1.5 which was installed as per instructions and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no, it's hanging at exactly the same place, CoolWeb, I don't believe this.

yeah, I do have a lot of patience which is wearing a bit thin now lol, plus I don't like niggles on my computer. I only run Spybot and Ad-aware for spyware, along with Norton Security 2005. I can live without Spybot on my computer, but would prefer to have it functioning. It had crossed my mind that considering all the time used on this irritant it probably would've been quicker for me to do a reformatt however, that seems like taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

My cpu is the one that you can set to infinity, already tried that with no success.

By the time I'd finished typing my last reply you'd sneaked in another Anyway I've downloaded the tool Everest-Home-Edition to confirm the temperature (breathes a sigh of relief) it reached 50C.

So enjoy your break and look forward to continuing in a few days

Wahey chi-va You were right all along it was temporary files causing a conflict.

Finally got 1.5 working. You won't believe this, I went back to Ccleaner to retick everything and decided to go through deleting everything one tick at a time. On cleaner settings Windows, at the bottom is Advanced with 8 items which are unticked by default and I've never used them. There wasn't much stuff in any of the others until I reached advanced and removed 325MB of whatever, did a reboot and low and behold it worked.

Many thanks for all your time and patience for this frustrating problem.