Thread: Windows Update vs Tea Timer

Default Windows Update vs Tea Timer

I tried to use Windows Update, and it said to install the new version. When I tried to download the new version, the download and file copy completed, it blinked and posted an
    error 0x80070020 unable to access web page.

Microsoft Help suggested turning off anti-virus and anti-spyware. I found that turning off Spybot resident tools (Tea Timer) allowed the update to load, and there was another step showing Registering files.

There were no entries in the log showing what might have been blocked.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

pgroot:

re: "0x80070020" error.

The following article indicates "This problem occurs when your computer has an antivirus program that uses real-time scanning.":
    • You receive a "0x80070020 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" error message when you try to download an update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883825

From that article it appears that Windows Update and Microsoft Update are intolerant at times of access by other applications to the files they use.

CAUSE
    This problem occurs when your computer has an antivirus program that uses real-time scanning.
    When programs are started, TeaTimer does access the exe files to check their attributes. I assume that in this case the same error as described in the article could occur. However, with thousands of people running TeaTimer and doing Windows Updates, the problem does not appear to wide spread (I only recall two other reports of the problem).

I guess the problem could occur because of an iffy timing thing between Windows Update and TeaTimer accessing files. On the other hand the article would seem to indicate that any program that uses real-time scanning can cause the problem. From the following statement, Microsoft appears to acknowledge that it may be their problem. It almost seems that when they attempt to access a file and if it is being used by someone else they just issue an error message and terminate the process rather than retry the access.

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows Update
    • Microsoft Update
    Please note that the Microsoft article also contains the following:

WORKAROUND

Warning This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk. ...
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-09-01 at 06:33.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.