Thread: Downloads don't start

Default Downloads don't start

I have been using spybot for years on my pc with XP pro without any difficulities.
    I have just upgraded my PC to a completely new machine running Vista Ultimate (build 6000).
    I have downloaded and installed spybot1.4 but I can't download updates.
    When I attempt to download updates the spybot freezes.
    On the tool bar I get "no server selected".
    What do I need to do to get connected to a server.
    I have IE open and running normally at the time.
    Thanks in advance.

There is a FAQ on their page about the update freezing if the servers are reacting slowly,so maybe that is the trouble.
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/32.html
    On the tool bar I get "no server selected".
    After the update info file is downloaded,then you can usually select a mirror location from the toolbar.In your case,since the toolbar is showing 'no server selected',it might be because the update info file probably wasn't downloaded.So,maybe you could try again later,and see if it works.

If the integrated update doesn't work later or you would prefer to get the updates as soon as possible,then there are manual updates available on the download page,so you can update Spybot:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
    Detection updates 2007-08-29 - product description
    md5: A78F6F88570AF263F46CA54D0335973F
    This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.
    Download
    Tools update 2007-08-01 - product description
    md5: 5DF9095BD392D964D6158820AA89E046
    Only needed if you do not use the integrated update.
    Download
    Advanced check library update 2007-01-19 - product description
    md5: 86591705A1D43E8F231364BC69B82D83
    This is an update for a detection library. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.
    Download
    TCP/IP Plugin 1.0 - product description
    md5: 7FD95B7E814EA2F56AEACE3613B4A0E9
    This adds capabilities to find and replace malicious network settings. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D

Default Downloads don't work

I was able to download the detection rules manually and was then able to do a complete system scan without any difficulties. I was then able to immunise the system as expected.
    I had the IE connection open and clicked on "Update" and immeniately the "no server selected" button highlighted.
    Next clicked on the "search for updates" and the message "connection has been established...etc" and spybot freezes. Using "ctl+alt+del shows Spybot not responding so I need to "end process" to clear it from the screen.
    There seems to be something missing as to server connection.
    Any clues.
    Morg

No,I don't really know why that would be happening,for absolute certain.
    After you click Search for Updates,Spybot will try to download this file:
    (http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini)
    Quote Originally Posted by ms usa spybot fan
    The spybotsd.ini file contains a list of available updates and servers. Until that file is downloaded successfully and processed the "No server selected" button will not change to a server list because list of update servers is not available to the program.
    So,since after you click the search for updates button,Spybot is freezing,there is probably some problem downloading spybotsd.ini,and that is why you 'see the no server selected' on the toolbar.Perhaps the freeze is happening if the servers are reacting slowly,though I don't know that for certain.So,maybe try again tomorrow or the next day,and see how it goes.