Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.5 - Immunisation hang

Default Spybot 1.5 - Immunisation hang

I've downloaded the recently released spybot 1.5 today and have a problem with it hanging and it raising my CPU usage to 100%

The problem is caused by the immunisation feature, if you select all then immunise then try and undo it will hang, I've done a bit of testing and it only seems to hang if I try and undo the firefox immunisations, if I just choose the IE immunisations it doesn't hang.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
    I've downloaded the recently released spybot 1.5 today and have a problem with it hanging and it raising my CPU usage to 100%

The problem is caused by the immunisation feature, if you select all then immunise then try and undo it will hang, I've done a bit of testing and it only seems to hang if I try and undo the firefox immunisations, if I just choose the IE immunisations it doesn't hang.

Confirmed. Same issue here.

XP Pro SP2 Updated
    Firefox 2.0.0.6 and IE7
    Spybot SD 1.5 (teatimer off)
    Adaware 6 SE
    Spyware Blaster
    Windows Defender (realtime off)
    Avast AV
    Last edited by denzilla; 2007-09-04 at 02:32.

Same problem here. I think it just takes a very very long time to undo the immunization.

XP Pro SP2 Updated
    Firefox 2.0.0.6 and IE7
    Spybot SD 1.5 (teatimer off)
    Spyware Blaster
    Windows Defender
    Avira

It should be able to undo it as fast as it enables it. 1.4 didn't have this problem.

1.4 has only a third of the immunization categories that 1.5 has, so it's not really something that can be compared

Firefox un-immunization indeed takes some time; this has to do with the modular structure the new immunization has. We'll sure keep it in mind.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Why is it able to make the immunization changes so quickly, but not the other way around?

The immunization list is many times bigger then on 1.4 that had 9000 something on 98SE that I am running and now it has 58,828 things listed.
    I also checked every or lefted all checked and click Immunize.
    Did not like that it added to my hosts file. I got WinPatrol that popped up telling asking me about the change and said no.
    I then did a undo of everything that too 30 min's or so to undo everything.
    I see now if you uncheck every thing and check just the boxes you want to do is better but it still takes a long time.
    I redid all but the "Global (Hosts)".
    Later I see that under "Global (Hosts)" that I had 3,928 unprotected and 2,427 as protected and I had that unchecked and restored my hosts file so only reason for the 2,427 as protected is that those sites were already in my hosts file.

But getting online using firefox 1.5 was very slow loading pages. So I did a undo on the 4 above the "Global (Hosts)" that are from the look of the icon SeaMonkey. But it was still slow so I unchecked the ones for firefox also and got page loads speed back.
    What are all the ones listed?
    I don't have Opera but 1.5 says it has "Improved Immunization for Opera" but I only see Firefox, IE and SeaMonkey listed.

You'll see those browsers listed that are actually installed. With all those different browsers and browser versions out there, listing even those not installed would cause quite a huge list

30 minutes for the undo is really quite a long time...

The difference between immunization and unimmunization is that for immunization, you usually have a small existing file where it's easy to check which bad entries are already in there, and add the others (usually all). For unimmunization though, it has to compare a huge list (all the immunized entries) against the blacklist.

Doing all four Firefox categories at the same time would surely speed that up, but would do bad to the modularity of the code, which currently allows to easily add new single immunization entries.

I created a feature request for this.

Odd because I have IE 6, Firefox 1.5.0.12, Netscape 7.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.12.

I am using 98SE too.

But thanks because I was thinking we all had the same Immunize-list.
    Here is my list and what I got showing that is protected and unprotected. Your see the SeaMonkey icons but I don't have SeaMonkey.
    So maybe it is for Netscape with the wrong Icon.

What are there two IE looking ones. You got the 3 \Software and 4 .default ones so what is for Internet Explorer and then what are the others for?

l

Yes it took about that long to undo everything. Ok I can see undoing taking longer.

Doing all four Firefox categories at the same time would surely speed that up, but would do bad to the modularity of the code, which currently allows to easily add new single immunization entries.
    I don't get just what your saying. What 4 and how would it speed things up. The ones for Firefox really slowed thing down. "would do bad to the modularity of the code"

On a file system level, multiple Mozilla-tools share the same configuration files - these would be used by Netscape, Mozilla and SeaMonkey, for example. Since it's unclear which application you use them with, we just use one icon for all these

The "\SOFTWARE" Internet Explorer ones are global, valid for all users of your computer. The ".DEFAULT" one is a template that is copied to each new users profile.

The "4" I referred to are Cookies, Images, Installations, Popups. They're all stored in the same file. So if Spybot-S&D would group them into just one entry, it would do the same, but it would take only a quarter (well, more, but still less than the current solution) of the time since it's just one and not four entries. But that would at the same time "steal" control from you if you for example would want to immunize only parts of it.