Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spybot 1.5 still does not detect cookies in Vista and IE7

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Please provide information whether BrowserCI sees those cookies are not! I'm asking the third time now!
    (edit: that's vey important because it has exactly the same code as Spybot-S&D, so it's a clear indicator whether our code is able to see these cookies or not)

I also told you I tested it on Vista and it still works, and now you're putting words into my mouth that we would have decided they're not an issue there? I did already say that it's all in the FAQ (#37)...
    No need to go mad.
    I started BrowserCI. On the left tab it displays several s-1-15-x entries, my username registry key and .default registry key. On the right info tab there are green ticks for everything in internet explorer. If I click on cookies/history/cache it displays blank fields. Bookmarks and start pages display my bookmarks and my start pages.

That's all. Once again I am saying that there is no need to get mad about this. I was just trying to help by pointing out an obvious issue, not present in XP. I could have as well not posted anything. Please, be kind in the future.

It seems I won't get any help with this issue. That's funny because one would think Spybot cared about its users with all those quotes on the front page. Anyway, just forget I ever mentioned it. I'm sorry for your inconvenience and thanks for nothing. I'll just not use spybot on vista anymore as it is obviously not compatible with it.

Sure, because you're the only user who has reporting this, it's sooo obvious that Vista isn't supported

Come on, it's not even been 24 hours since your yesterdays post. With companies like Adobe, where you pay 2000 bucks for a product, you have to wait 10 days for an answer from support, and here, where you pay nothing, you complain about less than 24 hours?

And btw, I cannot reproduce your problems, since BrowserCI shows me IE cookies without any problems on Vistas IE7 for my profile (the current users profile is usually the last one in the list, with a plaintext name) - the same way it did during tests. If you're the only one where it shows, that sounds very much like a very specific problem and not some obvious...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Okay, no problem. No offence meant. I am sorry for reporting it but it just seems a problem with spybot because everything else on my vista (compatible software) runs fine. As I said, just forget about my issue. I didn't mean to make a fuss about it.

I will stick with windows defender. I have no problems with it. Thanks for all your replies.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

doomer:

If you actually have Tracking Cookies that are not currently being detected by Spybot-S&D and were detected in the past by Spybot-S&D under a different OS and/or Internet Explorer version, it would be extremely helpful if you cited specific examples.

Since it appears that not only do you use Spybot-S&D but also other antispyware products, it is possible that those other products are blocking or eliminating the Tracking Cookies before Spybot-S&D attempts to scan for them. If there is a defect within Spybot-S&D when running under Window Vista with IE 7 in detecting the Tracking Cookies, than it would be helpful if you provided addition information such as the Tracking Cookies it missing during a scan (see Note #1).

Note #1: Spybot-S&D no longer adds all Tracking Cookies to its database for detection and elimination:
    See:
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-09-05 at 18:41.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

To tell you truth, I am not sure if there should be more cookies. I think windows defender is doing its job. What's more my Internet Explorer 7 is set to Medium, the description of which says that it blocks almost all third-party cookies, if not all.

The reason I think there may be more cookies is because when I installed Spy Sweeper, it detected about 40 cookies and deleted them. But as I already said it causes other severe issues, is very resource-demanding, and installs about 3 services, a driver and what not. Naturally, I uninstalled it. Then, I decided to try Spyware Doctor. As a matter of fact, it looks almost identical to sweeper, again with 3 services and a driver, and again it cleaned about 30 cookies but still caused severe issues, and I uninstalled it too.

At this point, I feel reluctant to try more anti-spyware solutions besides defender, which I am already using, and spybot. I also do not want to try Ad-Aware 2007 because from what I read in their forums, it also looks like a disaster, and again installs a permanent service. I used to run Ad-Aware 1.06 on XP, and it did a fine job, but I just don't think AAW 2007 will be worth it.

That's about it, now I am using Defender, Avast (which works really good with vista), and spybot. And that's why I decided to try and post about the cookie issues in these forums. I also know that tracking cookies aren't really dangerous, but still I could do without them. That's what I can say right now.
    Last edited by doomer; 2007-09-05 at 19:00.