Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the right place to say thank you?

I wanted to post this because too many times, people do not appreciate what a beneficial service that these volunteers provide to the general public. I am very “religious” about keeping my Windows, Norton Internet Security, Spybot, & Ad-Aware programs updated and scan with each at least once per week. But yet, due to a dumb move on my part, I got infected with a Vundo/Virtumonde Trojan. I have had other infections before, but have always been able to remove them through online tools. However, the “one shot” tools for Vundo/Virtumone were ineffective.

Fortunately, I came across the Spybot forum board. After reading a lot of people’s Vundo experiences, I quickly realized that I was not going to be able to clear this by myself due to the complex nature of the infection and its defenses, the knowledge needed for using multiple online tools, and the skills required to interpret the log files (without deleting a critical registry file by mistake). I posted on Spybot requesting assistance, and in a few days, Shaba came to my assistance. Shaba guided me through the process and the tools needed to remove it, and in a couple of days, Vundo/Virtumonde was no more!

Even after going through the complete process of removing Vundo (with Shaba’s guidance), I still do not think I could do it by myself in the event of a future infection - and I am reasonably knowledgeable about computers and their workings. I do not know if Vundo is the most common problem at this time, but it appears that a large percentage of posters are seeking help in removing this. The removal process, while not difficult if you follow the directions step-by-step, was still not a task that those with limited skill should attempt alone.

Shaba, a special thanks to you, and to everyone that provides this service to us out here in cyberland. I cannot extend my most sincerest “thank you” to the fine people that help all of us idiots that fail to use safe surfing practices, sometimes even despite our best efforts.

To those that post here needing assistance, please do not forget the following:

- These people are NOT paid employees– they are VOLUNTEERS – they do not need the headaches that we through in their laps. They are internet saints.

- There are a limited number of volunteers available. They are assisting people as fast as possible. I applaud their efforts and know that I could never maintain the patience they exhibit in dealing with a desperate general public clamoring for assistance.

- This service does not cost you anything but some time. If you obtained help from these fine people, DONATE. Without this service you would have likely had to seek professional help locally – and those services are definitely not free. A few dollars to restore confidence in the security of your internet experience is money well spent in support of these types of services.

- Do not give up hope. These people have obviously seen and resolved more infections that you and I could imagine. While Vundo is the most complex one that I have personally dealt with, there are tools available and people willing to help you, if you will give them the time. Follow their directions and listen to their advice. Chances are they will be able to get you back up and going.

- Strongly urge your representatives to take action against the instigators and propagators of malicious viruses, trojans, and worms both domestically and internationally

Default A Special "Thank You"!

I wanted to post this because too many times, people do not appreciate what a beneficial service that these volunteers provide to the general public. I am very “religious” about keeping my Windows, Norton Internet Security, Spybot, & Ad-Aware programs updated and scan with each at least once per week. But yet, due to a dumb move on my part, I got infected with a Vundo/Virtumonde Trojan. I have had other infections before, but have always been able to remove them through online tools. However, the “one shot” tools for Vundo/Virtumone were ineffective.

Fortunately, I came across the Spybot forum board. After reading a lot of people’s Vundo experiences, I quickly realized that I was not going to be able to clear this by myself due to the complex nature of the infection and its defenses, the knowledge needed for using multiple online tools, and the skills required to interpret the log files (without deleting a critical registry file by mistake). I posted on Spybot requesting assistance, and in a few days, Shaba came to my assistance. Shaba guided me through the process and the tools needed to remove it, and in a couple of days, Vundo/Virtumonde was no more!

Even after going through the complete process of removing Vundo (with Shaba’s guidance), I still do not think I could do it by myself in the event of a future infection - and I am reasonably knowledgeable about computers and their workings. I do not know if Vundo is the most common problem at this time, but it appears that a large percentage of posters are seeking help in removing this. The removal process, while not difficult if you follow the directions step-by-step, was still not a task that those with limited skill should attempt alone.

Shaba, a special thanks to you, and to everyone that provides this service to us out here in cyberland. I cannot extend my most sincerest “thank you” to the fine people that help all of us idiots that fail to use safe surfing practices, sometimes even despite our best efforts.

To those that post here needing assistance, please do not forget the following:

- These people are NOT paid employees– they are VOLUNTEERS – they do not need the headaches that we through in their laps. They are internet saints.

- There are a limited number of volunteers available. They are assisting people as fast as possible. I applaud their efforts and know that I could never maintain the patience they exhibit in dealing with a desperate general public clamoring for assistance.

- This service does not cost you anything but some time. If you obtained help from these fine people, DONATE. Without this service you would have likely had to seek professional help locally – and those services are definitely not free. A few dollars to restore confidence in the security of your internet experience is money well spent in support of these types of services.

- Do not give up hope. These people have obviously seen and resolved more infections that you and I could imagine. While Vundo is the most complex one that I have personally dealt with, there are tools available and people willing to help you, if you will give them the time. Follow their directions and listen to their advice. Chances are they will be able to get you back up and going.

- Strongly urge your representatives to take action against the instigators and propagators of malicious viruses, trojans, and worms both domestically and internationally

Default New outlook

I am in the waiting room waiting for help, but I didn't even know that spybot offered assistance for when the program is unable to clean a bot. I had been running spybot s&D & trying to get rid of command service again and again, and the popups and hijacks were so disgusting, and I have kids on the computer a lot, that I had asked a very busy person in my church to take the computer and see if he could remove it. Once more I ran spybot and happened to notice, "see the spybot website" and found all this support here. I have been using spybot S&D for several years, and never knew that there was this ongoing support and education (but then I never had a problem that s&d couldn't solve, either.)

Anyway, even though it has been almost a week since I started trying to run the log and get the advice, I now feel at least I know something I can do about a computer problem besides erase the hard drive. With this site and a volunteer, I can learn something about solving the problem myself. That's a great feeling. Thanks for SPYBOT S&D, and continually working for free to help people stay plugged in.

Default Thanks sooo much pskelley!

Thank you for all of the help and advice with my computer. Thanks to you guys my computer is now malware free and running smooth.
    Thanks alot

Default Many, MANY Thanks, RiP!

Dear RiP,

Don't know if this is the correct place to do this, so my apologies if I'm out of line. The original thread that we used to "get me clean" was just recently archived so I can't reply there...

Happy Birthday to me: A clean computer?
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=21246

I didn't want you to think that I forgot about all the help you gave me and just left you hanging. The past week was full of downloading, installing, cleaning and learning about all the stuff that you recommended in your last reply (as well as some of the advice pinned at the top of the forum). Upgrading to SP2, learning about MVPS Hosts, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender, etc. kept me busy!

But I wanted to make sure I got back in here to say "Thank you. THANK YOU. T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U !" for all your help AND the help that is contained in other parts of the SN Forums. You guys not only got me cleaned up...you also gave me more education about this stuff in three weeks than I had in the past six years of computing.

My donation was not a lot...and it certainly was not nearly enough to pay for what your help was worth...but I did want to give something.

I wish I could thank you in person and buy you a steak dinner for all you did for me! But I guess a "cyber handshake" will have to do for now.

Best regards and many thanks,
    John

Default Thank You!!!!!!

A great big thank you to all the helpers but especially Blade, you really made this process painless. I was ready to give up on my computer when I stumbled on this website. In just a few short days Blade helped me get my computer back(I had been struggling with problems for over a month). You are an absolute! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Another huge thank you to all the volunteers, and particularly Blade81 in my case. I'm somewhat of a Luddite, but even for me the directions were very clear and easy to follow.
    It's just AWESOME of you all to perform a service like this.

Red face

Thank you for making the online community a bit safer.

I would like to thank Shaba for helping me fix my computer..thx a lot man u rock..
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-01-15 at 18:11. Reason: Removed support request, thank you only topic. ;-)

Just noticed this thread:

Just to reinforce previous posts. I am just another who appreciates your efforts and patience with those of us who don't know what we are doing.
    You are very much appreciated!!!