Thread: Programs don't run after running SpyBot- help please!

Default Programs don't run after running SpyBot- help please!

Have just installed and run SpyBot for the first time. Now when I click on many of the desktop icons I get " This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an assocation in the Folder Options control panel ". The same occurs if I run a program from the Start Menu or even directly by executing the .exe. I am not able to even run SpyBot to find out what I did wrong. The only things still working that I have so far found are Internet Explorer and Outlook from the Start menu and My Computer. I guess I might have deleted files that I should not have when the Tea-timer reported them as questionable entries in the registry. Can I fix this?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

It sounds like your problem is a file association problem. The following Web page has fixes for problems with file associations:

The fix for EXE files is:

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
    Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.