Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new rogue anti spyware

Default A new rogue anti spyware

I know that spybot adds rogue antispywares to their detections. this is a new rogue antispyware. maybe you'd want to add it to your detections. It's name is Antivirgear and it's web site is antivirgear.com

hope this info can help
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-09-13 at 18:02. Reason: Disabled malicious url, no need for SASW info thank you. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by dj.turkmaster View Post
    I know that spybot adds rogue antispywares to their detections. this is a new rogue antispyware. maybe you'd want to add it to your detections. It's name is Antivirgear and it's web site is antivirgear.com

hope this info can help
    yes i have read that malicious urls are forbidden. sorry and yes forget about SASW
    FOREVER SPYBOT

Hello,

Thanks for reporting.
    We have added it to our detections.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Thanks for reporting.
    We have added it to our detections.
    How does one get those? The updated current version 1.5.1.15 only finds updates dated 12.9.2007, so it obviously still doesn't detect AntiVirGear (or at least the installer package).

Hello,

As this was reported and reviewed on the 13th and 14th we have added it to our next detections.

Beginning with the release of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 there should be updates once a week. The official update is normally out on wednesdays.

So this would be the next detection update coming on 2007/09/19 .

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi spybotsandra

Would it require a lot of extra work to provide updates more often than once a week? Even an excellent program like SSD is useless if infected users have to wait many days before it can help them. SUPERAntispyware and CounterSpy provided an update within a day or two. I know those programs have more staff, and only one of them is freeware, and all SSD users are really thankful for the wonderful work you all do, but... Pretty please?
    Last edited by Espoo; 2007-09-18 at 16:21.

Hello,

It would require lot of work for sure.

But normally when users have serious problems they get a TED from us to solve the problem before the next update.

But the update is tomorrow and you have not given any e-mail address so what should i say?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I don't have an AntiVirGear infection. I helped someone get rid of one, and got interested in the response time of various AS programs to new threats. I was hoping to ensure that Spybot beats Windows Defender in my comparison chart :-) Seriously, most normal users are incapable of finding this forum and asking for help. It would be important to protect users from getting infections in the first place, not "just" getting rid of them after the fact.

I don't really understand why sending out updates more often requires a lot more work. Isn't the main work the producing and testing of a detection and adding it to the list of detections?
    Last edited by Espoo; 2007-09-18 at 18:03.

"Testing a detection" can be anything from a few scripts to quite a lot of work.

Before any updates get out, we not only test in in virtual machines, but dozens of real machines as well. And that testing includes full scans - it takes the same amount of time if done weekly or daily or whatever.

Also, it depends on the beta feedback - the more beta updates get tested (and feedback provided), the quicker we could be sure about the updates. So testing betas and providing feedback would be a good way to help us improving
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    "Testing a detection" can be anything from a few scripts to quite a lot of work.
    Yes, i realise that. But once the testing is done, why wait until the next Wednesday to send out an update?

Before any updates get out, we not only test in in virtual machines, but dozens of real machines as well. And that testing includes full scans - it takes the same amount of time if done weekly or daily or whatever.
    Is there any chance that SSD will support scanning of individual folders in the near future? Full scans are too much of a pain to check a new program before installing it, and TeaTimer was until now too difficult/flaky/unreliable even for fairly savvy people to rely on. I haven't had a chance to test it on the new version (downloaded it today).

Also, it depends on the beta feedback - the more beta updates get tested (and feedback provided), the quicker we could be sure about the updates. So testing betas and providing feedback would be a good way to help us improving
    I ran a scan with beta updates, but it didn't detect the AntiVirGear installer.