Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Spybot v1.5.15 on W98SE

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Downloaded the Beta Fix and installed. Start up time after clicking desktop icon is now normal again. Will not know if this Beta fix addressed the problem of updating until the next release of updates wednesday October 3.
    Doc, is this next update referring to the updates like definitions? Or the whole SpyBot program? And how do you know it is October 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by antdude View Post
    Doc, is this next update referring to the updates like definitions? Or the whole SpyBot program? And how do you know it is October 3rd?
    I should have been clearer-Oct 3 is the next normally scheduled wednesday definitions update day. On this 98SE machine when updating definitions I could not get out of the update page-it would just freeze up and am hoping this Beta Fix has addressed this along with the delayed start up problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    I should have been clearer-Oct 3 is the next normally scheduled wednesday definitions update day. On this 98SE machine when updating definitions I could not get out of the update page-it would just freeze up and am hoping this Beta Fix has addressed this along with the delayed start up problem.
    OK. Thanks.

Had same problems as top of this thread and have uninstalled 1.5 and gone back to 1.4. My laptop has Win98SE and 320MB of RAM. 1.4 has always worked well. Will look forward to a consolidated fixed version of 1.5 -- hope it comes out soon.

Thanks to helpful Replies from the Spybot team, I re-loaded 1.5.15 and then subbed the .exe. and .dll for 1.5.16 and it's working. HOWEVER, now my SpywareBlaster hangs when it tries to update the Protections for Mozilla/Firefox. Never happened before. (SpywareBlaster updates IE and Restricted Sites fast, then hangs on the automatic third update progress bar for Mozilla/Firefox.) Any ideas? Thanks again.

FYI, the latest beta (SpybotSD.exe-1.5.1.16-2007-09-24-issues-76-78-79-84-85 fixed ALL my outstanding problems running 1.5 under Win98SE.

Thanks to the Team

Regards,
    Charles

Default Didn't work for me

I downloaded the fix, put the files into the appropriate folders, but the problem still persists. Namely, Spybot takes 5-6 minutes to appear after clicking.

Running Windows 98 se.

Definition update Oct 4th ran smoothly on my windows 98SE system. There was a brief delay on exiting but no freeze up. The Beta fix applied 9/24 seems to have corrected all the problems it was designed for-at least on my system.

Default Very slow loading for Windows 2000

I've used and recommended Spybot for about 4years.A couple of days ago I reported the new version on a forum for mainly broadband users and there is great concern at the slowness of loading.It has just taken 3mins.to load which is much slower than before.Earlier today I removed 1.5 and 1.4 and started again.Is the latest version always going to be slow? if so Ill go back to 1.4 and post accordingly on the other forum.Sorry to sound churlish for what is after all a very good, free program (Ok ,I will make a donation!)but it's frustrating to find a new version worse than an old one even if it is better in other ways.
    My system is old but the problem has been noted by users of new,faster machines.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

safebear:

The slow startup of the original release of Spybot 1.5 is a known problem that has been fixed. See the following tracking task:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.