Thread: Hosts File Immunization, Redux

Default Hosts File Immunization, Redux

Spybot 1.5.1.15, Windows XP Home (SP2)

This may be a continuation of the immunization problems I reported during the beta-test period: For both of the two latest data-file updates (including today's), the immunization process stops with the Hosts file not immunized.

This morning, after running the immunization process, there were 181 items left immunized in the Hosts file.

For both of the most recent data-file updates, trying to run immunization again without restarting Spybot results in Spybot stopping responding. Again for both instances, restarting Spybot and rerunning immunization succeeded in finishing the process.

(A bit off-topic: Have you noticed that the release version of Spybot still asks if the user wants to download beta-test updates? Is that in the release version, or perhaps just something left over in some Spybot-related file from the beta-test period?)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Always Confused:

Try the following:

Go into Spybot > Immunize > under Windows uncheck Global (Hosts). Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > and then click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button. Go back into Spybot > Immunize, is everything immunized?

The "Display beta updates" has always been an option, although until Spybot 1.5 it was only was available by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings and checking "Display available beta versions" in the "Web update" section of the option tree. The current beta updates include:
    • ßDetection rules (beta) - Updated detections (15 KB) - 2007-09-19

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

1. I had, per your previous instructions, added the Spybot host lists during the beta test. Following your current instructions, I did so again a few minutes ago. This process took a while, so perhaps it was not invoked after I updated to the release version of Spybot.

Once that was done, I returned to the Immunize page, which said that there were 583 un-immunized items, so I started the immunization process. The items for Firefox were quickly immunized, but there were no un-immunized items in the Hosts file.

I then downloaded the beta-test update, whereupon Spybot still showed everything as being immunized. Thus, I'll have to wait for the next "regular" data-file update to see what happens.

2. Thanks for the explanation about beta updates now always showing.

Just updated Spybot; I'm pleased to be able to report that the Hosts file immunization problem appears to have been resolved by my previous adding the Spybot hosts file.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Always Confused:

Try the following:

Go into Spybot > Immunize > under Windows uncheck Global (Hosts). Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > and then click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button. Go back into Spybot > Immunize, is everything immunized?

The "Display beta updates" has always been an option, although until Spybot 1.5 it was only was available by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings and checking "Display available beta versions" in the "Web update" section of the option tree. The current beta updates include:
    • ßDetection rules (beta) - Updated detections (15 KB) - 2007-09-19

::::::::::

>> Windows 2000 PRO
    Spybot 1.5.1.17
    much the same problem of Always Confused !
    For the first part i have the same problem wih 151 GLOBALS not protected but I didnt get Advanced Mode/Tools/Host files or add any list there.

For the second part although i am using Spybot 1.15 this item is still under : [Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings and checking "Display available beta versions" in the "Web update" section of the option tree] and not anywhere else.
    Please advise me .

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

marioz988:

Are you saying that you can't find Tools > Hosts Files and Settings > Settings?

If so:
    • Start Spybot.
    • In the manu bar click the Mode button and select Advanced mode.
    • For the Hosts file:
      • In the left pane click the Tools button then in the right pane double click Hosts Files.
    • For the Settings:
      • In the left pane clcick the Settings button then in the right pane click Settings.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.