Thread: Hard Drive Noise

Default Hard Drive Noise

Why does my hard drive make a whirring noise when I start up Spybot 1.5? It also makes the same noise when I select the CHECK FOR PROBLEMS button? Please help!!!
    Spyware is the bane of the Internet.

Hello,

There are different ways to search for spies.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy takes the advantage to check for all existing drives. Antivirus solutions do this also by the way.
    It is checking inactive installations and storing a list of really available drives to avoid unnecessary lookups at later points. The creating of such an overview is taking place right at the start of Spybot - Search & Destroy. At this moment Spybot makes a quick scan to proove if itself is modified by malware or some kind of baddie. So this can take quite a few seconds. Please be patient.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Also, could it be you hear the floppy drive, not a hard drive? Floppies are usually much louder and easier to hear

If it's the floppy, take a look here.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

It could also be your CPU Fan speeding up due to a load being put on your CPU. I notice a sound as well when I do CPU intensive tasks

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Also, could it be you hear the floppy drive, not a hard drive? Floppies are usually much louder and easier to hear
    Now that you've mentioned it, I took a closer look and investigated a little further...and you were right!! It was the floppy drive! I just assumed that the noise came from my hard drive.

Thanks a lot for the help and more power to Spybot Search & Destroy. I haven't been without it since 2003.
    Spyware is the bane of the Internet.

Default Side effect

Quote Originally Posted by juckjones View Post
    Why does my hard drive make a whirring noise when I start up Spybot 1.5? It also makes the same noise when I select the CHECK FOR PROBLEMS button? Please help!!!
    You have fallen vic to the 1.5. After 1.5 took out both of my drives, I heard the clank too.

@b4dawn: sure, we physically destroy hard drives
    Not even viruses can do that, even though the myth never really dies
    Reading your rants though I would recommend you try to remember that you're writing your "jokes" in a public place and should try to keep to the truth really.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)