Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Detected SpywareDetector

md

The properties gave nothing away at all. I've added ".kill" to the name of the file and will see if anything is actually trying to find it at all. If not, I guess I can get Spybot to kill it.

I'm wondering if it's a throwback to when I had Spyware Doctor on the PC, but Spybot has only just taken a dislike to the file (since the leatest update?) However, my laptop has Spyware Doctor and that file doesn't exist....

Curiouser and curiouser....

Just to be sure – we are talking about Max Secure Spyware Detector, maxspywaredetector.com – right? Not Spyware Doctor.

I’ve been running this for about a month and it really did clear up some problems although the first time it found a suspiciously huge number of problems. There were cookies on the list that appeared nowhere on the hard drive, but then PC Pitstop did the same thing (just different cookies) in their demo. I figured I just wasn’t savvy enough to find manually what these programs found. Not accusing them of anything other than deceptive marketing, neither seems to have damaged the system.

Am I asking for trouble by continuing to use Spyware Detector if indeed it is the one this thread is about?
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-09-27 at 05:01. Reason: Disabled link

Hello mj409.

Spyware Detector.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterW View Post
    We tested SpywareDetector and came to the result that it is not a false positive. When we did a scan with SpywareDetector it founds hundreds of false positives and if we would have deleted those files our operating system would surely be destroyed. In case that it is a real false positive we contacted SpywareDetector and sent them a log of our scan. They told us that we are infected with dangerous spyware and should purchase a licence to clean our computer.

So obviously they try to cheat users by showing false positives on a total clean. For that we decided to detect SpywareDetector. If you do not want Spybot to detect SpywareDetector you can exclude it from the scan.
    The decision is up to you.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Tashi-

Thank you.

I'd like to believe that they just have a misguided marketing staff, but unfortunately their tech people would have to participate in this deception. It did detect and fix some persistent problems on my computer and seems to work well so it is curious why they feel they have to deceive people into buying it. It'll get them in the long run.

Spybot is a great product and thanks for a good forum.

- mj

Tashi

"So obviously they try to cheat users by showing false positives on a total clean. For that we decided to detect SpywareDetector. If you do not want Spybot to detect SpywareDetector you can exclude it from the scan."

But I have never downloaded SpywareDetector - as far as I know! I still don;t understand how I can have this file and what it actually is.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

ianprice:

Unfortunately:
    1. Windows does not record an audit trail of what process added, deleted or modified files.

--- and ---

2. If a file not an executable file (exe, dll, scr, etc.) where the "Version" tab of the "Properties" may contain some origin information (which may/may or be reliable).

Without that type of information, about the only thing you can do to determine the origin of a file is to relate the timestamp information in "Properties" with the timestamps of other files created/updated around the same time.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Java

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello.

I have left a note for our detectives attention.

Best regards.
    In a recent post for help please, it was archived because of lack of interest.

I just downloaded and installed 1.5 last night from the safer networking main download point and I have a world of trouble, see other post.

However in the help post, you said to uninstall Java via add/remove and stated upgrade 5 is the latest. Add/Remove says I have version 10.

Is this correct or is there a date mistake on the post.

Any suggestions.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

b4dawn

Quote Originally Posted by b4dawn View Post
    In a recent post for help please, it was archived because of lack of interest.
    ???

The only posts you have made that I can find are in the following threads, none of which appear to have been archived:

Can you elaborate on what thread "was archived because of lack of interest"?

I just downloaded and installed 1.5 last night from the safer networking main download point and I have a world of trouble, see other post.
    If this is the thread you started, I responded:

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello.

I have left a note for our detectives attention.

Best regards.

However in the help post, you said to uninstall Java via add/remove and stated upgrade 5 is the latest. Add/Remove says I have version 10.

Is this correct or is there a date mistake on the post.
    I can find absolutely no reference to "Java" in this thread besides yours. If you have a question concerning "Java" or anything that tashi may or may not have said concerning "Java" in some other thread, I respectfully request that you:
    1. Privately communicate with tashi about reactivating the thread that I was unable to find.

--- or ---

2. Start your own thread and describe the question or problem you are having rather than hijack someone else's thread with what appears to me to be a totally unrelated post.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I'm not really sure what I've started here, so will withdraw gracefully. Thanks to everyone foe their help...

Quote Originally Posted by ianprice View Post
    I'm not really sure what I've started here, so will withdraw gracefully.
    Me too.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016