Thread: Host file protection - IIS 6.0 - Spybot

Default Host file protection - IIS 6.0 - Spybot

Host file protection - IIS 6.0 - Spybot

The main issue I raised is the protection of my default web site (using IIS 6.0). It initially runs properly by showing those IIS Help stuff as I have not made any webserver yet after installing IIS.

I have installed Spybot who was told to protect the host file of default web site.

Then somehow after I install some programs, the default website disappears. The host file seems to be of no change as I can open and view it with a simple notepad. The IIS manager said that the IIS is stopped. I cannot restart it although I can stop, restart, stop and then restart the World Wide Web Publishing Service. To be specific, there is an error "0x8ffe2740" when we try to start the IIS manager. We then searched the website and found in microsoft website that says tha port binding of port 80 is used by some program. How can I know which program use which port? (I have used "Port Monitor" software recently but it shows processes not programs)

The above problem remains even after I uninstall IIS and then reinstall IIS back.

Can Spybot protect the host as well as the IIS manager? Or the only method is to ghost back to former times (window restore points cannot work)?

But one really strange thing is that after I uninstall Spybot, the host file "http://local host" returns back to normal. It is totally strange. Why can uninstallation of Spybot itself can bring my host file back? It is totally odd somehow. Am I right?

Thks...

Talking bout the "host file", do you mean your start page? Usually, host file and start page are not related.

What is your new default website? I assume you are using Internet Explorer - have you tried to change it through "Tools" --> "Internet Options"?

The fact that your host file (=start page?) returns after uninstalling Spybot-S&D is really odd...
    In order to provide us with some more information, please reinstall Spybot-S&D and post a Spybot-S&D bug report:
    Run a scan, right-click in the results field and choose "Copy full report to clipboard". Then just paste it into your forum post.

Regards,
    Flo

P.S.:

We then searched the website and found in microsoft website that says tha port binding of port 80 is used by some program. How can I know which program use which port? (I have used "Port Monitor" software recently but it shows processes not programs)
    Port 80 is the http port, i.e. the port always used when surfing in the internet. Usually, one can see from the process which program is involved, so if you tell us the name of the process maybe we can tell you which program it belongs to.

I mean it is the http://localhost which is a check of the IIS default website. (Thus there is no need to set the i.e. option as u mentioned)

Also, we cannot figure out what process or program occupies port 80. Can u suggest one or two program (freeware if possible) which u think comfortable to be installed to scan process or port? It is highly appreciated if the programs u suggested can show exactly what program is contributed to either which process and or which port occupied. Of course, we will very delighted if u suggest a program that can tell us what port is used by which program (instead of processes).

Yes. We think it is very odd too. How can a taking out of a guard can return back the money lost? I am just quoting a example only and we are sorry for any impoliteness we caused.

Thks u very much.

Esteemed Member

Try Port Explorer:

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/

free trial download available.