Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to BLOCK tracking cookies

Default How to BLOCK tracking cookies

Alright,

How can I block tracking cookies?

I have Spybot installed, Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch7 installed, and Kaspersky installed. They are all great at telling me which tracking cookies have installed themselves on my machine after scanning, but whoop de do, I need them NOT ON THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Can Spybot block tracking cookies from getting on my machine?

I spend more time cleaning my machine than I do surfing, sheeeeeesh this is ridiculous.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Tools"->"Resident" page. Checking the checkbox in front of SDHelper will enable the BrowserHelper.

Now open the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer and choose 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration'.
    There you will find a drop down menu which will appear giving you some options.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/s...d15/index.html (3rd picture)
    You should select "Block all bad pages silently".
    With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.
    Further choose "Spybot-S&D->Immunize" from the navigation bar on the left.
    Now the baddies are blocked.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default tracking cookie

i did all the above, but notice "Adware.Tracking Cookie" still showed up using Super Anti spyware.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There is another way to prevent the downloading of Tracking Cookies in Internet Explorer (even those not blocked by Spybot's resident BHO) as well as the storing of Tracking Cookies in other WEB browsers. See:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default cookies

I'll give that a try also. Seems like maybe I did that once before, but had to change back to aotomatic handling for some reason. Don't remember why now. Will try again and see what happens.

Be aware that some sites require that you store certain third-party cookies or the site does not work properly. Pure speculation, but that may have been the reason you had to stop blocking them.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default cookie

that probably what happen. will watch for it again. thanks

Spybotsandra,

Thanks for the suggestion. I usually run Firefox, is there a way to block in Firefox?

I'll be sure to apply your suggestion to IE and maybe thats what I should be using, but I've come to prefer Firefox.

Spybotsandra said

"Now open the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer and choose 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration'.'

That is not a choice when I open IE Tools. Whats up with that?

rocks911:

Are you running Spybot 1.5? To check go into Spybot > Help > About.

Is Spybot's "SDHelper" Browser Helper Object (BHO) activated? To check go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" the following item should be checked:
    • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.