Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tea Timer Registry Change Problem

Angry Tea Timer Registry Change Problem

I recently installed Tea timer (had an older version of Spybot without the feature). And since it's bugged (fixed now) I couldn't see the buttons so I accidently blocked some registry changes.

I would like to know how to unblock them. I haven't found a way to do that yet.

Anyone help?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If you checked "Remember this decision" on a change the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" changes. To edit this information:[LIST]Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
    • Allowed processes
    • Blocked processes
    • Allowed registry changes
    • Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries that you should review are in "Denied registry changes". You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done. This will in effect make TeaTimer forget what you told it to remember so that during future changes to these items TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog rather then just a notification pop-up.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

OMG! Sweet dude, thanks a lot seriously! Woah

Default Changing / Removing "Remember Allowed or Blocked" Decisions

Thank you for this information. I have been searching for how to do this for hours. I finally found the answer in your post.

Please consider putting this in FAQs or the SpyBot help file in the future.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    If you checked "Remember this decision" on a change the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" changes. To edit this information:[LIST]Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
    • Allowed processes
    • Blocked processes
    • Allowed registry changes
    • Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries that you should review are in "Denied registry changes". You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done. This will in effect make TeaTimer forget what you told it to remember so that during future changes to these items TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog rather then just a notification pop-up.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done...
    Thanks, that's good to know. But how were we supposed to know the X was even a button? I thought it was just an icon---you know, "X, this is blocked."

Default Changing "black list"

I have been trying for over an hour now to access said list. I cannot seem to find it anywhere. When I right click the tea timer icon my only options are to run spybot or change Resident IE settings. I have explored everywhere I can think of and I cannot seem to find the list to change remember my decision's. Please please please help

kitty7605:

Please go into Spybot > Help > About. Are you running Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3?

There was no facility in Spybot's 1.3 TeaTimer to remove "Remember this decision" entries without manually editing the various files that contain the information.

In addition there was a bug in TeaTimer 1.3 and you should not use "Remember this decision" option on a "Deny change" in TeaTimer's Registry Change Monitor. If you do, the change will be initially denied, however, all subsequent like changes will be allowed.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I was only running 1.3. I dowloaded the newest version, but it does not show any allowed or blocked processes. I am trying to see the list of allowed processes because I am worried that there might be keylogging software on my computer that has been allowed when someone else was using my computer. I am assuming since the list is blank that previously allowed and disallowed processes from 1.3 are not shown in the list. You mentioned manually removing items, but I have no idea what it might be. Is there a way to just start over as if I didn't have tea timer in the first place to make it create new rules for all of the programs? Also, you mentioned clicking deny and remember this decision. I know that I did that at least once with version 1.3 as well, so I probably need to fix that, too.

Thank you

Default tea timer pop up and registry changes

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place. But after I ran search and came up with this thread I hoped it was ok. A few days ago downloaded Spyboy 1.4 after uninstalling 1.3 everything fine. This time I checked to install the tea timer. thought I understood it better. This AM had a pop up about blocking McAfee registry changes. Of course not!!! but found the pop up confusing. I thought if I simply exited it would leave things alone but thats not what it said it did.Searched through your info and found this but when I go to the settings and click the blocked registry changes there is nothing there, but when I look at the show log I find this:

11/20/2006 6:16:44 AM Denied value "MCUpdateExe" (new data: "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe") changed in System Startup global entry!

Now that I am throughly confused, my question is this; Did I block McAfee from making probably necessary changes or not? Oh and are there instructions on how to deal with that pop up somewhere?

Phoebe:

Yes the change Startup for McAfee was denied. You most likely closed TeaTimer's pop-up dialog without answering it and that denies the change.

There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" button (on the left) and "Deny change" button (on the right) are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". Note: If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
    1. Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:

There are three (3) fixes published in that thread. They are:

1. The ResHacker fix published by ElPiedra here:
      2. The murdo patch published here:

Also republished by RuggeR29 (which I have never tried) here:
      3. The patch originally by SyreneD that I published here:

Also republished by SyreneD himself here:

2. Disable TeaTimer as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Notes about the patches (b. and c. above):