Thread: Microsoft (R) HTML Application host has encountered a problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Microsoft (R) HTML Application host has encountered a problem

When I try and access my User accounts - looged in as what I think to be an administrator. I am given this error.

Microsoft (R) HTML Application host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

My event log is:

Faulting application mshta.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2900.2722, fault address 0x0006a8bd.

SDD people your Forums have solved two problems I have had in the past. I am very greatful.

A coolwebsearch problem a couple of years ago and receintly I have had Pipas.A. Followed some threads you posted in the forms and seemed to work for me as well.

I also intalled a trial version of EWIDO anti-malwar and it found and removed a Pakes Trojan.

A few weeks ago after following your advice on the Pipas.A. I tried to install a home network, my computer would not allow access to any other, even though they could see my computer and My computer could see them. Seems my Windows firewall was not up and runnng either - so I did some reasearch and determined I needed to turn on the service "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)". I could not get this to turn on. Finally read somewhere in a microsoft Knowledge Bulletin that I needed to be an administrator. I was surprised as I thought I was. So after seaching Microsoft website some more I found an article that indicated I could control user account passwords with the command > control Userpasswords2 - while in safe mode. So did this and eventually after poking arround in a dialogue box I came accross what appeared to be a shopping list of items that I could control - ie. not all of them were checked. So checked them all. REbooted and then I could finally turn on the service and firewall. Thought everythin was solved.

Then a couple of days later tried to access user accounts and got the error above - I do not seem to be an administrator of my own computer.

Sorry for the long story - but the quick is ---

How do I determine if I am an administrator. My user account is grouped with administrators - But I think it is lying as I cannot set up a new account. A
    lso how do I resolve the error above.
    While searching on Google - with this error - I think there was a suggestion to use a program called True Sword?

Any other suggestions.
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-01-22 at 09:21. Reason: Moved from the Malware forum.

Default Microsoft (R) HTML application host error

Still cannot access user accounts.

Is anyone able to help me?

Esteemed Member

Based on the error messages you're getting and the types of issues with Administrator, I'd guess the PC might have been initially attacked using the following vulnerability.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-016
    Vulnerability in Windows Shell that Could Allow Remote Code Execution (893086)

Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS05-016.mspx

If this occured, it's possible someone gained complete control of the PC remotely and may have performed any number of changes, either automatically or via management tools, per this portion of the details section.

If a user is logged on with administrative privileges, an attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take complete control of the affected system.
    Based on the history you listed and the other types of malware seen such as Trojans and Rootkits, I would consider this PC totally compomised. I would not trust the integrity of the system no matter how much 'cleaning' was performed.

At this point, the only safe recommendation is to back up all important data, format and rebuild the operating system. Fully enable the ICS/Windows firewall before connecting to the Internet, with no firewall exceptions, so you don't immediately become infected via a worm. Once done, be certain that all current Windows Updates are installed before browsing any other Internet sites, then re-install both anti-virus and anti-spyware protection. Be sure to scan any files you backed up for viruses before opening them on the new installation of Windows.

Notice from the above that the important lesson is prevention, not removal after the fact. Once a PC becomes as badly damaged and/or compromised as this one has, no amount of cleaning can guarantee the integrity of the system in the future.

The previous solution seems drastic. Why not start in safe mode, (without any
    network support). Then run your AV and spyware programs.

You can press F8 when you boot/restart your computer.

Esteemed Member

Kanduu: If you'd read the above fully, you'd understand. The problem isn't fixing the couple known broken items, it's not knowing what else might be broken or compomised. The indications are that portions of the rights in the operating system have been modified, by what or whom is uncertain.

The final decision belongs to paw1961, but if it was my PC, I'd avoid doing anything on it that might place personal or business data at risk until I could take the time to rebuild it from the ground up.

This is my personal opinion and recommendation to you paw1961, you have the option to take it or leave it as you wish. I personally will not be involved in trying to 'clean' or 'patch' such a PC, because I don't believe in the integrity of the results.

Security Expert-Emeritus

I dont believe the malware we cleaned on paw1961's pc nessesites a format
    nor is it the reason for the problems mentioned here.

First time you have networked your PC's ?
    I assume Your aware networking needs to be installed on both pc's

accounts problems:
    If all else fails you might create a new account with admin rights while in safe mode logged in as admin then once in that account (none safe mode) use the settings and transfer wizard to move everything to that account and delete the old account.

On the other hand on pcs with multiple infections format reinstall is the only way to be sure it all gone.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by paw1961 View Post
    When I try and access my User accounts - looged in as what I think to be an administrator. I am given this error.

Microsoft (R) HTML Application host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

My event log is:

Faulting application mshta.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2900.2722, fault address 0x0006a8bd.

SDD people your Forums have solved two problems I have had in the past. I am very greatful.

A coolwebsearch problem a couple of years ago and receintly I have had Pipas.A. Followed some threads you posted in the forms and seemed to work for me as well.

I also intalled a trial version of EWIDO anti-malwar and it found and removed a Pakes Trojan.

A few weeks ago after following your advice on the Pipas.A. I tried to install a home network, my computer would not allow access to any other, even though they could see my computer and My computer could see them. Seems my Windows firewall was not up and runnng either - so I did some reasearch and determined I needed to turn on the service "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)". I could not get this to turn on. Finally read somewhere in a microsoft Knowledge Bulletin that I needed to be an administrator. I was surprised as I thought I was. So after seaching Microsoft website some more I found an article that indicated I could control user account passwords with the command > control Userpasswords2 - while in safe mode. So did this and eventually after poking arround in a dialogue box I came accross what appeared to be a shopping list of items that I could control - ie. not all of them were checked. So checked them all. REbooted and then I could finally turn on the service and firewall. Thought everythin was solved.

Then a couple of days later tried to access user accounts and got the error above - I do not seem to be an administrator of my own computer.

Sorry for the long story - but the quick is ---

How do I determine if I am an administrator. My user account is grouped with administrators - But I think it is lying as I cannot set up a new account. A
    lso how do I resolve the error above.
    While searching on Google - with this error - I think there was a suggestion to use a program called True Sword?

Any other suggestions.

same problem with me Chetram3, i visited the microsoft chat servie the agent did a disk check for error, on the hard disk properties tool error check, that fixed everyshitty corruptions hopes it help.