Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Firewalls - Any Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeromac18 View Post
    ... u can also try green av
    Green AV sounds awfully rouge-ish. A quick google search only gives guides of how to remove Green AV.

Seeing that my personal firewall preference has changed since I last posted in this thread, I would like to say I don't use Comodo firewall anymore (ever since they started releasing their 'Internet Security' suite).

As well as a hardware router, I recently started using the free edition of Outpost Firewall 2009 which offers everything I need, without excessive pop-ups or ridiculous memory usage (I've found it to be usually taking up ~26mb). It is also one of the best rated on Matousec.

For a good comparison of firewalls you may want to look at the article on Gizmo's Freeware reviews: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm
    Last edited by honda12; 2009-11-22 at 22:08. Reason: Added link to article.

Comodo Firewall is not doing so well for me.
    Hm, honda12 last time I used Outpost Firewall Free, the firewall icon kept showing up as a question mark. Several hours later, it would turn green except when I hovered over the icon again it turned into a question mark. Normal?

drragostea,

I think your firewall policy was set to 'Rules wizard' where Outpost firewall 'learns' your commonly used applications for a week. You can change this setting by right clicking the icon, hovering over 'Firewall Policy' and selecting 'Block most'.

The phenomenon you describe, I have never experienced.
    It sounds like a software bug to me.

I also forgot to mention that should anyone want to use Outpost firewall I found the default host protection settings to be a little weak, so I recommend you go into settings, then 'Host Protection' and move the slider up to 'Advanced'.

Smile firewall

AVG includes its own firewall (if you have the professional version).

To use it as the default, you should turn off the Windows Firewall in Control Panel.

Thumbs up Good tip

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    AVG includes its own firewall (if you have the professional version).

To use it as the default, you should turn off the Windows Firewall in Control Panel.
    That's a good tip in general, Hamburger.

When installing a new software firewall, make sure you turn off Windows firewall to avoid conflicts.

The Windows Firewall in windows 7 is good enough for most home users now.

Default There is always a hole

I believe that big business always update their software with new tegnologias but always leave a hole, I do not know if it is done intentionally but the realities, and there is always someone who is ....

I would recommend COMODO since it is free and offers strong protection against viruses and hackers. This program saved me several times because some bad guys where trying to steal my data (sales, client info, etc.)

FYI.

Zone Alarm Forum thread.
    "Angry with ZA
    zbot.zeus Notice"

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=75332
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Hi

it didnt help to turn off upnp. i can see the router has a feature that is called
    Intrusion Detection, but i dont know how to turn it on. i have talked about my router on the hphosts forum, and they explained what the settings is used for.
    blues is offline Report Post Reply With Quote