Thread: Ok can some tell what the hell is this???

Unhappy Ok can some tell what the hell is this???

yesterday I log into my PC and whilst I logged something in the upper right corner of my screen appear something saying that is updating the system for TrayCFg.exe...

Now my question is what is a TrayCFg.exe I have never heard of it, and as soon as my pc was fully up and running I started Spybot-S&D! but seem not to find any trace of this so called TrayCFg.exe. I ran regedit and found keys with the following descriptions containing the so called TrayCFg.exe, they are as follow:
    Dtry
    TrayCFg.exe
    DataTray
    also when I ran a msconfig it was in the startup files.
    I noticed that the msconfig showed it was stored in file in C:\WINDOWS\DataTray\ and when I located the file with the help of 7Zip I found it and used the File Shredder to delete but it keeps coming back.
    so now am wondering what am I to do. I ran esetnod32 antivirus and it didn't find anything.

Can some please help!!!!?????

Hello franksbz,

Did/do you have a printer and its software on the computer?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Smile Yeah

Yes Tashi I have a printer installed and connected to my PC. So what does that have to with the nagging TrayCfg.exe process?

Hi franksbz,
    Quote Originally Posted by franksbz View Post
    Yes Tashi I have a printer installed and connected to my PC. So what does that have to with the nagging TrayCfg.exe process?
    A search on TrayCFg indicates it may be a printer's software updating itself.
    yesterday I log into my PC and whilst I logged something in the upper right corner of my screen appear something saying that is updating the system for TrayCFg.exe...
    See if you have a program installed for the printer and if so check the settings for automatic updates.

Best regards.

Question Ok

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hi franksbz,

A search on TrayCFg indicates it may be a printer's software updating itself.

See if you have a program installed for the printer and if so check the settings for automatic updates.

Best regards.
    Ok I tried what you asked of me Tashi, but in the setting it showed disabled. then when I open the taskmgr.exe I noticed that there were two firefox.exe process running then when I ended the both tasks the darn TrayCFg.exe came up and as quickly as it appeared it vanished and the firefox.exe reappeared with out my concent. ok now this has me puzzled.

Hi there,

What is the printer brand and model number please.

Best regards.

Smile Hey tashi

the printer is a HP Color LaserJet 4600 PCL6 and I also have a plotter that I use from time to time its a HP Designjet 500 24 by HP.

Question OK what does this mean?

Also when I terminated the firefox.exe process and the TrayCfg.exe process from the task manager this error message came up:

TrayCfg.exe - Unable To Locate Component
    This application has failed to start because mozsqlite3.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Hello franksbz,

I'd checked the HP site and drew a blank on TrayCFg.

Also when I terminated the firefox.exe process and the TrayCfg.exe process from the task manager this error message came up:

TrayCfg.exe - Unable To Locate Component
    This application has failed to start because mozsqlite3.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
    Have you been editing registry keys by any chance?

It is possible for problems to arise after terminating a program via Task Manager. Also see http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/search?q=mozsqlite3.dll

What is your operating system please and is this a personal computer?

Best regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2011-08-11 at 18:34. Reason: Added link