Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Firewalls - Any Advice?

I've recently started trying out Comodo as well and quite like it
    Will probably replace Outpost 1.0 as my favorite (about time, as much outdated as that is ).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    I've recently started trying out Comodo as well and quite like it
    Will probably replace Outpost 1.0 as my favorite (about time, as much outdated as that is ).
    Yeah, I like comodo - A little bit talkative by default though

i just tried the shieldsup test, and all ports showed as stealth, but i also got this message:

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

all ports are stealth but my system still replied to ping? what does that mean?

i use the xp firewall, and have used zonealarm before but the results where the same with both. i also use a router/modem with the firewall turned on, i dont think i have seen anything special in the xp firewall log, but that is maybe because i have the router/modem firewall.

i have been recommended online armor and kerio, but some firewalls is just an annoyance and asks to many questions. do someone have an easy to use firewall to recommend that blocks the ping mentioned above?

i have now stopped using utorrent because of what i have been reading here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31554&page=2 where is that originally posted by the way? i couldnt find it as a sticky, and the other sticky is different than that one. utorrent was mainly the reason why i didnt use another firewall than the xp one because the others was just to difficult to configure with utorrent, but it is easier now when i dont have any filesharing program of course. i couldnt connect to the internet when using pctools firewall so i will not use that one.

I say, the PCTools Firewall is a joke :P (since this is the Tavern afterall).

I also received the same results are blues, all ports stealth, however my computer responded the Ping.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    I say, the PCTools Firewall is a joke :P (since this is the Tavern afterall).

I also received the same results are blues, all ports stealth, however my computer responded the Ping.

i hope someone have an answer to what it is that is causing it.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Re: Comodo Firewall and ShieldsUP! Ping test.

It seems that Comodo Firewall does not prevent responses to pings (ICMP Echo) requests. See the following thread the Comodo Forum:

On the subject of ShieldsUP! pings being responded to while using Comodo Firewall, I found post 13 of 23 in the following thread in the CNET forums: Spyware, viruses, & security forum interesting:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

i use the xp firewall,
    Which only blocks incoming traffic, although better than no firewall at all.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    i have now stopped using utorrent because of what i have been reading here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31554&page=2 where is that originally posted by the way? i couldnt find it as a sticky, and the other sticky is different than that one.
    Actually that is a new policy at two sites, still under review here and if posted, probably wouldn't be in the same format.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Lightbulb well

i use zonealarm and i didn't fail one shields up test. all shields up tests were unable to ping my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Re: Comodo Firewall and ShieldsUP! Ping test.

It seems that Comodo Firewall does not prevent responses to pings (ICMP Echo) requests. See the following thread the Comodo Forum:

On the subject of ShieldsUP! pings being responded to while using Comodo Firewall, I found post 13 of 23 in the following thread in the CNET forums: Spyware, viruses, & security forum interesting:

this from the comodo thread was interesting: Killing ICMP causes real-world trouble, unlike the imaginatory "wow t3h noes, I'm visible and hackers will get me" nonsense published by GRC on Shields Up, upsetting almost all users who have no clue about real security and have been recommended to use Shields Up as a way to test their firewall.

so then maybe shieldsup is useless? and just give out information that is wrong.

maybe it is my router/modem that replyed to ping, the firewall was off by default but i turned it on some weeks ago. i will try to turn off upnp on the computer and router/modem just to test with shieldsup again and reply back in this thread with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Which only blocks incoming traffic, although better than no firewall at all.

Actually that is a new policy at two sites, still under review here and if posted, probably wouldn't be in the same format.

Cheers.
    the security experts scares me about what they say about filesharing, but it is mostly the downloads that CAN be dangerous. i would not recommend anyone to download programs with filesharing programs, as almost everything i have tested with antivirus and antimalware programs that was downloaded with utorrent had trojans, i rarely have seen viruses in a while. it was fun to test it, but it was just tests. i have one cd with malware again, and some malware that spybot didnt found is on it. but this tests is maybe like playing a game with the computer

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

129260:

Have you tested zonealarm with a LeakTest such as:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.