Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot won't SCAN!!

Default Spybot won't SCAN!!

I downloaded Spybot yesterday and every time I click on it to run a scan, nothing happens. It's like a dead icon. No response at all. Also, now Internet Explorer/google has frozen up on me. I can't reach any of my usual websites. I uninstalled Spybot and reinstalled again today. Still nothing....How can I get Spybot to respond?

Try booting into safe mode,then see if you can run a scan with Spybot then.
    safe mode:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
    Please let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Try booting into safe mode,then see if you can run a scan with Spybot then.
    safe mode:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
    Please let me know how it goes.
    Ok, I tried it in safe mode (thank you) and now it pulls up a small box that scans for all of about 10 seconds (not the big typical big screen with all the choices and a full scan, recovery, immunize, etc...).

The small box just says Spybot....Malware and Spybot....Heuristic.

Help!!

That sounds like the file scanner for Spybot.You usually get it by rightclicking a file and selecting Scan using Spybot Search&Destroy.
    That popped up after doubleclicking the Spybot icon?

You are correct. When we right click on the Spybot icon and click scan with Spybot that's what it does. When we double click on the Icon, we get NO response at all!

When we right click on the Spybot icon and click scan with Spybot that's what it does.
    That is Spybot's single file scanner.
    Could you try this,and we'll see what happens.Could you naviagate to:
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    There should be a randomly named .scr file in there.For just an example,JDHTWFVZBMWHASPQKQ.scr.It should have the same icon as SpybotSD.exe,and be the same size,mine is 4.66 mb.Try doubleclicking that file,and let me know if Spybot will start.

Mine no longer appears to be hidden,but in case you don't see the .scr file,here is how to show hidden files and folders:
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html
    You can hide them again once you're done by reversing the instructions on that page.

Ok....I got so frustrated with all this mess, I just had to quit for a couple of days. I have searched for the scr.file. Can't find anything under Program Files/Spybot etc...etc...

When I attempt to do anything at all, I get so many interruptions from FAKE "security warnings" pop ups, I spend most of my time just trying to get rid of all that.

I don't know what website my son went to to cause all this mess, but it must have been a DOOZY!!

You have been so kind and helpful........what now can I try to do? Is there anything I can just buy and put in the CD drive to clean all this mess up (or is that just too simple and hopeful??)

Thank you!!

You're welcome.
    Aha....what I was looking for....

You can ask for help in the malware removal forum.

The procedures are here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
    Please read and follow them,as they help you to download and post the required hijackthis log.

Please note:
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi
    If you cannot run the Spybot scan at all, please go ahead and post the HJT log along with a note regarding scan/s failure.
    Malware removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Hey......I just wanted you to know that just now when I was in Programs/S&D files, I just started to poke around looking to get a reaction from anything possible.......I clicked on Spybot Screensaver and all of a sudden a full scan started to run. Yippee!! I didnt really trust it, so I sat there forever seeing if it was really going to do the whole thing, and so far so good. It's nearing the end of the scan now and it has found a bunch of "junk" so far. Can't wait to see if it cleans up the really bad stuff that keeps popping up. I'll keep you posted!!

Thank you for all your help. I would have never known what to do without you!

Ok......well, the scan finished up and I rebooted and scanned again (the same way....the "normal" way still won't scan) and although it cleaned up a few things, I am still getting spyware advertising pop ups all over the place. I also still can't access regular websites like MySpace or Facebook. They just won't pull up anymore.

I'm going to try your link to the Malware Removal Forum.

Thanks!!