Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: HELP!! Severe Problems with Pop Ups & freezing

Also wanted to ask, how do you feel Zone ALarm compares to Kaspersky for Anti Virus? I ask this because I was impressed with the fact that the Online Kas Scan found dirty deeds hidden from my ZA, what do you think?
    By the way, some posts ago I mentioned that I noticed that my ability to open a link or on web image in it's own page (I usually hold down the shift key when I want to open a link like this) is now non-existant at least in IE, something along the way obliterated it, any Idea how to get it back or should I just download a new IE Browser?

SOrry about all the final questions but I have to add one more becasue the situation just presented itself, I just had a Spybot Search & Destroy Alert box pop up saying that it has detected an important registry entry (certainly not of my doing)
    Here is what it reads:

Category: User-Specific browser toolbar
    change: Key Added Entry {EFA24E64-B078-11D0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}

I of course denied this change.
    So my first question is

1. Is this this the Spybot teaTimer that is popping up these alerts?"
    2. If I disable the TeaTimer won't I be opening myself up to these intrusions?
    3. With all that we have cleaned, how are these entries generating still?
    4. Is tere something in my Firewall that I should have guarded that I might not have guarded?

Emeritus- Malware Team __RiP_ChAiN_'s Avatar

Question, what about all of the other folders within my Spybot/Recovery Folder such as Yazzle, Ad Sponsor, Zlob Folders etc. Should I toss them too?
    Go ahead and delete those as well.

Also wanted to ask, how do you feel Zone ALarm compares to Kaspersky for Anti Virus? I ask this because I was impressed with the fact that the Online Kas Scan found dirty deeds hidden from my ZA, what do you think?
    By the way, some posts ago I mentioned that I noticed that my ability to open a link or on web image in it's own page (I usually hold down the shift key when I want to open a link like this) is now non-existant at least in IE, something along the way obliterated it, any Idea how to get it back or should I just download a new IE Browser?
    I would personally favor Kaspersky over zone alarm, it seems to have better detection rates. I would suggest upgrading to IE7 actually, they've gotten most of the bugs out now and it actually works pretty good.

SOrry about all the final questions but I have to add one more becasue the situation just presented itself, I just had a Spybot Search & Destroy Alert box pop up saying that it has detected an important registry entry (certainly not of my doing)
    Here is what it reads:

Category: User-Specific browser toolbar
    change: Key Added Entry {EFA24E64-B078-11D0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}

I of course denied this change.
    These things happen on a regular basis, most of the time these are good changes, this CLSID (the numbered groupings) for instance is legitimate: shdocvw.dll is a library used by Windows applications to add basic file and networking operations.

Is this this the Spybot teaTimer that is popping up these alerts?"
    If I disable the TeaTimer won't I be opening myself up to these intrusions?
    With all that we have cleaned, how are these entries generating still?
    Is tere something in my Firewall that I should have guarded that I might not have guarded?
    1. Yes, TeaTimer detects any registry changes good OR bad and let's you decide what to do with them.
    2. Well, that's why you have a firewall and anti-virus. Chances are that you shouldn't really get any more of these file intrusion attempts now that your computer is clean of malware.
    3. Because these are legit changes, not malware related issues still.
    4. I'm sure your firewall is doing it's job properly.

Any other questions you would like to ask before we do the finishing touches?

Any other questions you would like to ask before we do the finishing touches?
    I think you answered everything that I can think of, I was just a little nervous when I saw the Teatimer alert stating an attempted registry change that I had to OK or Deny, I feared that something was yet still on my system that was trying to do a dirty deed since this did not happen directly after I had made a change but well after many reboots.
    I guess if I had to rephrase the question one last time I would ask "If I disable my TeaTimer would that mean that such attempted changes to my registry would go through without my knowledge?"
    By the way, here is a fresh HJT log just in case you wanted to check it out:

HJT LOG 10/12/07
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 9:01:49 AM, on 10/12/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\HighCriteria\TotalRecorder\TotRecSched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\ScanningProcess.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\MAILFR~1\mantispm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\Netscp.exe
    C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\ScanningProcess.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\USBSircs\usbsircs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\ReserveModule.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\gps.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\RM_SV.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jucheck.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: flashget urlcatch - {2F364306-AA45-47B5-9F9D-39A8B94E7EF7} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jccatch.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C777CF73-124F-3562-44AC-E685D962C63C} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CFE15135-C591-4000-A55E-A50E5F9F82BC} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: FlashGet GetFlash Class - {F156768E-81EF-470C-9057-481BA8380DBA} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\getflash.dll (file missing)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VAIO Recovery] C:\Windows\Sonysys\VAIO Recovery\PartSeal.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TotalRecorderScheduler] "C:\Program Files\HighCriteria\TotalRecorder\TotRecSched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Version Cue CS2] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Mozilla Quick Launch] "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\Netscp.exe" -turbo
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Remocon Driver.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Timer Recording Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\ReserveModule.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\FlashGet.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\FlashGet.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
    O16 - DPF: {0B79F48A-E8D6-11DB-9283-E25056D89593} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.1) - http://support.f-secure.com/ols/fscax.cab
    O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english...an_unicode.cab
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS2 - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: Giga Pocket Hardware Detector - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\shwserv.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Controller - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\halsv.exe
    O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Manager - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\RM_SV.exe
    O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SONYSH~1\AVLib\Sptisrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Music Server\SSSvr.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\sv_httpd.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Photo Server\appsrv\PhotoAppSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\GPVSvr.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-HTTP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
    End of file - 9664 bytes

Hello panicden,

"If I disable my TeaTimer would that mean that such attempted changes to my registry would go through without my knowledge?"
    That would be correct, I guess you simply have to way the convienence against the possibility of security breaches.

Please delete the following folders (if present):
    C:\Qoobox
    C:\!Killbox

Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
    • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
    • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
    • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
    • Click "OK".
    • Click the "More Options" Tab.
    • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
    1. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
      1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
      2. Click once on the Security tab
      3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
      4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
        1. Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
        2. Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
        3. Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
        4. Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
        5. Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
        6. Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
        7. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
        8. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
      5. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
    2. Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources
    3. Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
    4. Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls
    5. Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
    6. Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware
    7. Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
    Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety
    • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
    • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
    • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
    • Winpatrol <= Download and install the free version of Winpatrol. a tutorial for this product is located here:
      Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software

Hi Rip, followed your SR instructions.
    As for the Security settings the only one that needed to be modified was "Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt "

I use Zone Alarm for both AV & Firewall, and download updates daily for definitions

Here is something that I should tell you, I do not use SP2, I have tried it twice and hate what it does to my PC, both times the problems that it caused (at least on this machine) have caused me to uninstall it and go back to SP1. I do have SP2 onmy laptop and it runs fine but on my main machine it is a nightmare. I am pretty sure that you are going to tell me that SP2 is critical to my security.

I am going to get the google toolbar and look into IE7 (do I need SP2 for that?)

and I will look into the other tools (already use SPyware blaster but had gotten lazy on the updates)

Thank you loads, Rip, you Rock!

Hello panicden,

Here is something that I should tell you, I do not use SP2, I have tried it twice and hate what it does to my PC, both times the problems that it caused (at least on this machine) have caused me to uninstall it and go back to SP1.
    Wow, a person that feels the same way I do about SP2..

I do have SP2 on my laptop and it runs fine but on my main machine it is a nightmare. I am pretty sure that you are going to tell me that SP2 is critical to my security.
    I'm not going to say that. It is true though, but sometimes you hate something so much you really don't even care anymore.

I am going to get the google toolbar and look into IE7 (do I need SP2 for that?)
    I believe you do need SP2 for IE7, so I guess we'll just leave that be for the time being. I would look into the google toolbar though, it really does have some great features with it.

WHoa!! I would have bet the bank that you would have told me to get SP2, I am a really happy camper that this is not the case. You Know, My feelings are more like your's than you think for my EXACT feeling has been, "Well, I am just going to have to take my chances and keep on top of AV updates" So farthis has actually worked for me.
    As for the Google toolbar I have deleted it many times viewing it as an annoyance (I like to keep a clean tiny streamlined browser, never understood people who will pay for a bigger monitor only to waste the 1st 4 inches from the top with Browser Bloat)
    But I will get the Toolbar back, Yay Rip!!!

(I like to keep a clean tiny streamlined browser, never understood people who will pay for a bigger monitor only to waste the 1st 4 inches from the top with Browser Bloat)
    Yeah, that's always puzzled me too. Good luck in the future though, you have my best wishes