Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Helloween Edition - beta 1

Default Helloween Edition - beta 1

spybotsd15he-beta1.exe

This is the full installer for all the bugs fixed and new features implemented since 1.5.1.15.

Helloween Edition just stands as a temporary name for an update we want to be available this month

The installer has been updated a bit: InnoSetup 5.20 now (no idea if it fixes the floating point problems), I've improved all the localization stuff and had to move a few things around, but in general everything should be available in every language in the installer now, and I've also included the Explorer context menu option "Erase with Spybot" and the separate shredder.

If you want to test, feedback on those project tools entries here that didn't receive any testing feedback would be nice
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Nice..I'm installing it now. Hopefully it will fix that lag problem. It's taking a while to install the new definitions...

Thumbs up SSD 1.5.1.17 rocks!

I downloaded and installed the halloween Edition Beta1 this afternoon and gave it a whirl. I am happy to report that it totally removes the "slow loading" issue: the initial progress bar appears on my 1.7 GHz P4 in around 4 sec now instead of more than 4 min(!) before. The scans are significantly faster than in 1.5.1.15 and even somewhat faster than in 1.4 All this is excellent.

One comment, however: I had some trouble turning off the "usage trace" scanning. It would be nice if this feature could be made more prominent. I do not want such because I manage cookies using CCleaner and having to deal with cookies selectively in more than one place (browser, CCleaner, SSD, ...) is a pain.

The shredder option in the context menus is an interesting touch. However, this should be made optional: make an option parallel to those for TeaTimer,
    selected perhaps in the installer and/or in the SSD settings menu. Again this is a feature I personally do not need since I have SecureDelete and Privacy Guardian, both of which already are in the context menu.

Looks like a winner from here! Good work!
    Last edited by pudelein; 2007-10-08 at 02:18.

Oh, the context menu option is actually not the shredder, but a tool that allows you to remove (for example malware) files even if they're not removable through the Explorer, because they're associated with a running process, loaded as a module or as a file into another application, etc..

But you're right, both additional tools should be optional. I had in mind to add options to the installer, but due to those unexpected changes I was making to the localization of the installer, I somehow didn't make it in time

As a novice could someone please explain how I go about installing this new beta .17? Do I uninstall version 1.5 that I currently have with the .16 beta patch first and then download and intall this new Beta as a full install?

Default bugs...

Windows Vista Home Premium
    32-bit Operating System
    1014 MB RAM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2450 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
    -----------------------------------------------------

1. When i installed the Halloween Edition i selected download updates, unticked languages and blinduser. I got this error

Unable to execute file:
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 740.
    The requested operation requires elevation.

2. When the steps window popped up, with the 1 out of 7 steps displayed i pressed 'Next step' or whatever its called and it went straight to the 7th step, where did the other 5 go?

3. Why is it when i selected Update there was available updates and one called 'updated immunization database' when i selected download updates immediately in immunization.

4. When i clicked immunize after all the updates i just downloaded, the immunization and English files and startup entry, i clicked immunize and i got this dialog error
    'You are missing administrator rights to perform this action.
    If you need to do this, please run this application elevated as administrator.'
    The problem is i went to control panel - user accounts. And my User account is the only one there and it says it is an administrator and password protected
    e.g

heath
    Administrator
    Password protected

I than pressed ok and it went to the immunize screen in SB and the scanning to see what was immunized and what wasn't started and i had 0 immunized and so i pressed immunize and i got a different elevated administrator rights warning but it than immunized 26975 items and35941 remain unprotected. Whats going on here?

5. Why is English and Esperanto under languages, i chose English, i love Esperanto but i didn't install it or choose it, its a universal language but default it why?
    --------------------------------------------------
    King of zlobtrojan, virusburst, spyaxe, and elite bar infections.

I've been told that it's Halloween, not Helloween. And that for an Ireland fan like me Well, see the name as a tribute to Helloween, which I like to listen too too often it seems

5. Well, I guess since language files are so very small that Esperanto is kind of equal to English... perhaps Offered as a default alternative to English because many speakers of roman (latin) languages might be somewhat able to understand it a little bit.

The administrator rights thing is probably FAQ 042 (a new security concept on Vista), but I'll read and answer more carefully tomorrow

Default SD5.1 Beta

Just fired up Beta. Everything improved- evreything fixed.

Goofer

Was this beta suppose to fix the firefox spybot immunization problem too? I installed and still only detects IE :(

What exactly is "the firefox immunization problem"?
    There, is, for example, this one, which should be fixed now.
    No one else posted any success there though.
    Or another one?