Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Helloween Edition - beta 1

Well, inside the installer, the files are all compressed, so it can be expected they're a bit larger once installed. And of course there is the detection database, which gets downloaded afterwards (the installer would nearly always be outdated if they were included). That plus the archives of the update files (which are kept to allow users to easier reproduce what the application is doing during an update, even if it looks like a waste of space at first) could easily make the 20 MB I guess.

Then logs (1 or 2 MB maybe), the initial registry backup (can easily be 10 MB), probably the quarantine (totally depends on how much stuff you've removed with Spybot-S&D)... I don't think the Add/Remove page will count them, but they reside inside the Application Data folder.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Well, inside the installer, the files are all compressed, so it can be expected they're a bit larger once installed. And of course there is the detection database, which gets downloaded afterwards (the installer would nearly always be outdated if they were included). That plus the archives of the update files (which are kept to allow users to easier reproduce what the application is doing during an update, even if it looks like a waste of space at first) could easily make the 20 MB I guess.

Then logs (1 or 2 MB maybe), the initial registry backup (can easily be 10 MB), probably the quarantine (totally depends on how much stuff you've removed with Spybot-S&D)... I don't think the Add/Remove page will count them, but they reside inside the Application Data folder.
    PepiMK -- My thanks for the clarification and replies to my questions. It all makes sense now. I have lots of room on my hard drive so I am not concerned about "wasted space".

Appreciate your time and patience.

Miki

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    @sims39: is this different from the previous page?

1. Vista should ask for elevation when starting the installer. Did it do that? If not, that's indeed a bug in the installer (in that case we might rename it to spybotsd-setup.exe or something, because Vista recognizes "setup" as part of the filename as an installer as well).

2. The others inbetween are conditional ones; e.g. there's one to allow you to import the Internet Explorer proxy settings. If you don't have a proxy set up in Internet Explorer, it isn't shown at all.

3. The immunization database isn't part of the updates downloaded during the installation. Maybe we should add it there though, good point

4. Again, that's already answered on the previous page, see FAQ #042 I linked there.
    On Vista, even as an administrator, you have to tell the computer you want to do an administrator operation.

5. Also already answered. Should've copied only the open parts ;-p
    or better yet, disable Vista's user account control feature, restart Vista and then setup Spybot 1.5.1.17 beta. I have UAC turned off on the Vista Home Basic laptop since some programs do not work correctly with UAC turned on (ERUNT, one of my favorite utils to backup and compress the registry files in Win2k/Xp/Vista, is one that works under Vista w/out UAC).

for now I'm steering clear of this "helloween" beta of spybot until a more stable version is released to fix several bugs. I'm happy with the final version of 1.5.

Hi, I'm new to this forum (and new to Spybot as well) and I have a question about the installer that comes with version 1.5.1.17. During the installation process I come to a screen that reads 'Extra tasks'. Under 'Permanent protection' I see 2 check boxes:

-Use Internet Explorer protection (SDhelper)
    -Use system settings protection (TeaTimer)

First of all, what do these options do?
    Secondly, does this mean Spybot isn't protecting Firefox (my main web browser)?

Hello,

The resident section of Spybot - Search & Destroy is devided into two parts: the SDHelper and the TeaTimer.

The *Resident TeaTimer* is a Spybot-S&D tool perpetually monitoring the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
    - automatically kill the process
    - or generally allow the process to run

There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change.

As TeaTimer is always running in the background.

The *SDHelper/Immunize*

Spybot-S&D allows you to immunize your computer against some spyware. It currently offers three different immunities:

Permanent Browser immunity: Similar to JavaCools SpywareBlaster, this allows you to tweak some internal Browser settings to block the installation of known spyware (and similar threats) installers via ActiveX. Spybot-S&D is able to set all entries for those that are in its database to be blocked. If you want to distinguish, you should install SpywareBlaster.

Permanently running bad download blocker for your Browser: This is a second layer of protection. While the Permanent Immunity blocks installers by their ActiveX ID, this one blocks anything that should come through by different aspects.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi Spybotsandra, thanks for your quick answer. Some additional questions though.

1. Enabling all these options in Spybot doesn't affect normal web browsing?

2. Spybot functions as well with Firefox as with IE?

3. Can TeaTimer be compared to the Ad-Watch module in Ad-Aware?

4. "Permanent Browser immunity: Similar to JavaCools SpywareBlaster, this allows you to tweak some internal Browser settings to block the installation of known spyware (and similar threats) installers via ActiveX. Spybot-S&D is able to set all entries for those that are in its database to be blocked. If you want to distinguish, you should install SpywareBlaster."

What do you mean with 'if you want to distinguish'? Can I also use both for this (Spybot AND SpywareBlaster), or isn't this recommended?

I'm still pretty new to this forum, so I may not be up on all the rules yet.

So I'll ask, "Is it ok to say WOW!!! on this forum?"

OK, at the risk of being set down to the principals office by the teacher, I'll say it anyway.....

WOW!!!

I did a Google search for the latest Beta upgrade, the Halloween edition and downloaded and installed it.
    NO Problems! The process went off, smooth as silk.

Every problem I was having, or even thought I was having has been fixed. NO more 40 seconds to load, and no more floppy drive growling at me. The whole program seems to be Fuel Injected and NITRO Boosted.

Someone's been busy.....to get so much into just one upgrade.

Thank Y'all ! (as we say here in the south)

I had incorporated the registry fix to stop the Floppy from being accessed on startup, but under ver .15 it didn't take. (???)
    Now under .17, there's no more floppy growling at me when Spybot S&D starts.

Ya just gotta love these guys!

Thanks again,
    The Doctor
    A person with experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Stijnson View Post
    Hi Spybotsandra, thanks for your quick answer. Some additional questions though.

1. Enabling all these options in Spybot doesn't affect normal web browsing?

2. Spybot functions as well with Firefox as with IE?

3. Can TeaTimer be compared to the Ad-Watch module in Ad-Aware?

4. "Permanent Browser immunity: Similar to JavaCools SpywareBlaster, this allows you to tweak some internal Browser settings to block the installation of known spyware (and similar threats) installers via ActiveX. Spybot-S&D is able to set all entries for those that are in its database to be blocked. If you want to distinguish, you should install SpywareBlaster."

What do you mean with 'if you want to distinguish'? Can I also use both for this (Spybot AND SpywareBlaster), or isn't this recommended?
    Can anyone help me out with these questions? I hope so.

why are these questions being posted in a BETA forum?

Hello,

1. It should not affect the web browsing. But remain: malicious sites are blocked.

2. It also functions with the Firefox Browser like i already have explained above.

3. It is kind of the same feature.

4. It is not recommendable to run both at the same time as they can interfere with each other.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot