Thread: Is this for real?

Default Is this for real?

http://reviews.cnet.com/security-and...tag=prod.txt.1

Is Spybot this bad? I know this is 1.4, but still?
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-10-10 at 06:25. Reason: Moved from Spybot-S&D support

What can one say? One doesn't know whether to laugh or cry, what? I mean, they mention Windows Defender in the same breath... Too, too sad. It is a valuable review however, inasmuch as is provides us with a very good estimate of the relative accuracy of their other reviews.

Hello.

Other topics on the subject.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=17946

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18133

Joe Wells: How NOT to Test Anti-Malware Products

Of course we always strive to improve.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-12-06 at 22:53. Reason: Added link
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hello,

That is a silly comparison - to name Microsoft Windows Defender as free software
    The download is only available to customers running a new/genuine Microsoft Windows Version.

Further they rated 1.4 which is a very old version.
    1.5 is already availible.

Spybot - Search & Destroy has been applauded for its ease of use and installation, free support and updates, ability to undo every step, and its excellent featureset. Spybot - Search & Destroy is one of the most recommended free anti-spyware programs on the Internet, and has won numerous awards, including the PC World Best Buy and World Class 2003 Awards, the PC Magazine Editors Choice and PC User Top Buy #1. Spybot - Search & Destroy has also been recommended by CNet, ZDNet, the Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, MSNBC, CNN and other reviewers.

Spybot - Search & Destroy and it's awards are also mentioned in the wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spybot

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default 3 Cheers for Spybot S & D!

I just wanted to join this forum to have my first post be something besides requesting assistance.
    I didn't even know that Spybot existed before I started looking for ratings and recommendations for spyware/malware removal software. However, Spybot received such high marks that I had to try it. The ratings really don't tell half of the story. This piece of software does so much more than just remove mal/ad/spyware. As a matter of fact, I've spent the last 3 hours just exploring everything inside the program.
    Great job all who had a part in putting together this great application. Plus, the support on these forums seems to be great.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by drogo View Post
    What can one say? One doesn't know whether to laugh or cry, what? I mean, they mention Windows Defender in the same breath... Too, too sad. It is a valuable review however, inasmuch as is provides us with a very good estimate of the relative accuracy of their other reviews.
    The weird thing about windows defender is that it has never found anything on my computer. What does it do?

1.4 isn't THAT old, Sandra. I didn't find out about 1.5 until about 6 weeks ago and I use and update SpyBot every few days.

For some reason, the industry doesn't appear to like SpyBot, but I believe that's a function of who fills the various review editor's rice bowl.

It is sad, but transparent to the most casual reader, particularly (as in the CNET review quoted), the public reviewers ratings are nearly double those of the CNET editors.

I don't often tout a program to those who ask me for assistance (a really big number), nor do I contribute to program development ... except for SpyBot. I recommend it without reservation to everyone and have contributed about once a year.

Just continue listening to your users and you'll continue to do fine.
    Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig.

sultan_emerr, your post moved here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=19486
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default my windows found alot

Defender on my computer found alot but Spybot S@d was just frigging awesome.I actually cheated when i removed my leftovers manually but my computer is now back to normal. I think.