Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Checksum reported on all Updates

Default Bad Checksum reported on all Updates

I've got Spybot 1.4 and tried to use it for the first time here today. It urged me to check for updates and download them so I tried to do that.

I had about five updates to download: detection rules, english,etc., etc.,

Every single one failed with a report (within Spybot) of 'Bad Checksum'.

Anyone got any clues?

I've got AVG and Sygate guarding the computer.

regards,

ab

Refer to this faq: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/20.html

I always use BN fileforum server, it always work well for me.

Cheers

Default Bad Checksum - seen this in prior and current version

This has been a relatively frequent problem that I usually could resolve by changing download site. Often I had to try more than one before downloading successfully. The site that worked previously wouldn't always succeed the next time.

Related note: the "bad checksum" text message to the right of the "bad" or "green check mark" icon would not go away after successful download if the same download had failed previously. I inferred success from the green check mark, and the disappearance of the "bad" icon.

Any insight into the cause of this relatively frequent occurance would be welcome, as it is a unique problem to downloads with S&D (no similar problem with SpySweeper, LavaSoft or NAV).

Tx,

Robert

is there a way to autodelete servers from update list which have bad checksums?
    Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6
    WinXP SP3

Default Auto-delete of servers may be undesirable

I caution against auto-deleting servers that exhibit the bad checksum behavior, as this problem can arise and then disappear. A reasonable scenaro would have you auto-delete all servers, only to have the problem correct itself once you were no longer able to reach any servers...

I agree that the problem is frustrating and time-wasting. I hope that someone from the S&D team will take a moment to explain the cause and indicate what they are doing to correct the problem.

Robert

it's not just annoying

personally I feel unsafe. I think a trojan or a virus have manipulated the checksum.
    WinXP SP3

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masu1
    is there a way to autodelete servers from update list which have bad checksums?
    No but: The download server can be changed after the "Search for Updates" and before clicking "Download Updates". So if you find a server that works well, you can start by using that server in the future. Also note that if you want (not necessarily recommended) you can select a server and then right click on the button and "Set this server as the preferred download location". If you do that Spybot will select that sever rather than a random (see Note #1) server for future updates.

Note #1: Spybot 1.4 selects a random server. Spybot 1.3 always selects the first server which is currently See-Cure #1 (Europe). This places the heaviest load on that server increasing the likelihood of getting "Bad Checksums" when using See-Cure #1 (Europe).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

if so the error message should be

servertraffic is too high, please use another server from the list

and not CRC error
    WinXP SP3

Hmmm, interesting, start with user selected preference, then make a random selection if that fails? Or add an option to use most recent successful server first. Unfortunately I don't know what the "bad checksum" error actually means... does it indicate a communication failure with an overloaded server, for example, that is "seen" as a result file that does not validate because it's missing some part? Feel like I need to understand more about the underlying cause to make sense of this.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nexuswest
    Unfortunately I don't know what the "bad checksum" error actually means... does it indicate a communication failure with an overloaded server, for example, that is "seen" as a result file that does not validate because it's missing some part?
    It can be because the file is not complete or it can be because the download server was not updated properly and the wrong file was received.

For more of an explaination see:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...98&postcount=5

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.