Thread: smitfraud is bad but smitfraudfix is a disaster

Default smitfraud is bad but smitfraudfix is a disaster

Hi,

I was pretty annoyed that Spybot fully updated could not detect and remove smitfraud!
    However, neither could Avast or Zoftspy - and as it was not vundo also neither vundofix or virtumundobegone were of any use either.

So what did I do - tried running spybot in safe mode - still no joy, so I ran smitraudfix despite the warning that some PC's have resulted in hanging - sure enough the smitfraud is gone but the PC hangs on reboot and is not recoverable - result entire OS lost!

The attempted repair was far worse than the smitfraud nuisance. I know i should have persevered more slowly with the attempted removal - now. :-(

Clearly the smitfraud is new but surely it has been long enough for purist programmes like Spybot to have diagnosed it and come up with a full identification of files related and detailed removal for full system recovery?

Maybe i have missed something in my use of spybot - but with latest updates this should not be possible.

So - belatedly - what is the official Spybot removal advice for smitfraud - and how to prevent it loading in the first place?

cheers to all :-0
    Last edited by Robotnz1; 2008-02-27 at 06:45.

Hello,

Sorry to hear of the problem, there are many new variants of this pest being released frequently.

If Spybot-S&D does not detect or remove an item and one can find the files, we suggest people zip or rar them and send to: detections(AT)spybot.info (Replace AT with @)

To receive guided assistance to remove an infection, users can follow the procedure in this link:
    "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Then start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum where a helper would advise when available.

There are other stickies in the malware forum with tips towards safe surfing.

Best wishes.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016