Thread: Advanced mode won't stay 'set'

Default Advanced mode won't stay 'set'

I recently discovered that I cannot seem to set the Advanced mode permanently. I log on, and Spybot is in Default mode. I set it to Advanced, and it will stay that way as long as the computer is on, but when I shut down and reboot, it is back to Default mode.

I wonder if it is possible that some other antispyware I have running might be blocking the change in settings? It doesn't seem very likely.

Spybot seems prone to this kind of problem. I had the same issue with it wanting to come up full screen all the time. I gave up on trying to fix that one permanently - it just kept coming back. I have had some other issues as well of a similar nature.

Other than doing an uninstall/reinstall, is there a good fix?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If you are starting Spybot from a shortcut, look at the Properties of the shortcut (right click on the shortcut and select Properties). See if the Target says:
    • "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /advancedmode

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Oddly enough, Spybot seems to be running consistently in advanced mode at the moment, but no, the target does not say "/advanced mode".

Default Advanced mode won't stay 'set'

Make a temporary folder somewhere easy to find. Cut and paste the current S&D shortcut on your desktop to this folder. Copy and paste to the desktop the shortcut for starting in advanced mode that is created when you install S&D 1.5. On my computer, this shortcut is found here: "C:\windows\start menu\programs\spybot - search & destroy\spybot - search & destroy (advanced mode).lnk" It may be somewhere else on your computer and you may have to search for it. Once you have finished and find the program starts correctly and consistently in advanced mode, you can delete the temporary folder that you created for the other shortcut. This should solve your problem.