Thread: Permanent Immunization and Internet Options

Default Permanent Immunization and Internet Options

I am using Spybot 1.4 with Windows XP, and I am unable to access Internet Options (I receive the message concerning "...cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact you system administrator", (I am logged on as the administrator).
    I have read the FAQs and there is information concerning this situation (access Sybot advanced, tools, IE Tweaks and uncheck the options), however none of the options are checked! Is there anything else I can do to 'lift' the restriction of the Internet Options? Thanks in advance, for any help you can provide!

Spybot sets that registry key for the Current User only,so if your computer has the NoBrowserOptions value set under HKLM in the registry,you wouldn't see the checkmark in Spybot,so that might be what is causing that.
    So,is this your own home computer?
    And is it XP?If so,I'll show you a possible fix on Doug Knox's page.

It is my home computer, and I am running XP SP2 and Internet Explorer 7.

I've checked the registry and I do not have a NoBrowserOptions key for Internet Explorer under HKCU/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Internet Explorer and there is no Internet Explorer entry in HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft.

That leaves the solution from Doug Knox out,from what I remember reading in the script there.
    I can't really find anything for you now,because I keep getting booted off the 'net.But,I'll get back to you when I can,if noone else does.

According to Microsoft,if the Inetcpl.cpl file is missing,you can get that error.Though,every time I delete mine,windows keeps adding it back in,but I guess it wouldn't hurt to look to check to see if yours is there.
    Try going to start->run and copy and paste in
    %SystemRoot%\System32
    click ok,then look to see if Inetcpl.cpl is there.

If it is in there,a workaround to open control panel is to go to start->run and copy and paste in
    CONTROL INETCPL.CPL
    What happens if you do that?

I've checked and the inetcpl.cpl file does exist.

Nothing happens when I attempt to run inetcpl.cpl.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

You're welcome

Btw,there's a newer version of Spybot out,version 1.5,if you would wish to get it.I kept forgetting to mention it.
    http://www.spybot.info/en/home/index.html

I wonder if it's possible your inetcpl.cpl file is corrupted?
    Which version of XP do you have,home or pro?

Sorry for the delay in responding...
    I'm running XP Home.

I did some experimenting:
    -there is an inetcpl.cpl in C:\Windows\System32 (1,782kb dated 8/20/07) that does nothing if I right click on it and select open with Control Panel (and I had the same thing happen as you stated - if I delete this Windows puts the same non-working file back);

-there is also an inetcpl.cpl in C:\i386 (286kb dated 3/4/2004) that DOES work if I right click on it and select open with Control Panel.

-there is also an inetcpl.cpl shortcut in C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Recent that also works if I right click on it and select open with Control Panel.

Soooo, I'm not able to get at the Internet Options via Control Panel>Network Connections>Internet Options or via Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options(receive '...restricted access...' error message), but do have a work-around as detailed above.

I'd really like to resolve this...but I guess it's not critical as I can get at the Internet Options when I need to.

Thanks for all your help, it was appreciated!

No problem,and you're welcome.
    This is the page at MS about problems with Internet Options and that message,though some info seems a bit dated,and it is for Internet Explorer 5.0 to 6.0.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...6583&x=14&y=10
    Does everything else on your computer seem okay?