Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot, not detecting viruses?

Default Spybot, not detecting viruses?

Yup, it hasn't been detecting most spyware including that nasty zlob thing and a few other well known viruses and keyloggers and just stuff i know it would normally detect i don't know what i should do is it i need to re-install it or something? but like yea i don't know!

EDIT: Also yes i do update spybot i update it about every other day well when there is an update.
    Last edited by trs30; 2007-10-27 at 02:58.

Hello.

Quote Originally Posted by trs30 View Post
    Yup, it hasn't been detecting most spyware including that nasty zlob thing and a few other well known viruses and keyloggers and just stuff i know it would normally detect i don't know what i should do is it i need to re-install it or something? but like yea i don't know!

EDIT: Also yes i do update spybot i update it about every other day well when there is an update.
    To clarify, Spybot-S&D is an anti-spyware program, not anti-virus, and we release new definitions on Wednesdays. Once a week.

Do you get zlob, viruses and keyloggers often? What is your operating machine, and which security programs do you have installed.

Also which version of Spybot-S&D, open Spybot Search & Destroy > Help > About.

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Vista home edition with mcafee i don't know if i get zlob/keyloggers often i have spybot version 1.5

but i do have to say, spybot is defineately the best program out there for this kinda stuff it just doesn't work like it should sometimes
    Last edited by trs30; 2007-10-27 at 03:10.

Hello.
    i don't know if i get zlob/keyloggers often i have spybot version 1.5
    I am a bit confused, in your first post you indicated the program was not catching bad stuff on your machine, and asked if you should reinstall it.

Well just like it isn't getting things like zlob which i have heard it gets and deletes ( i heard it does ) i still use it i just thought it was malfunctioning or is it?

edit: when it is scanning i see the programs its scanning and i see zlob. or SOMETHING.zlob when i am looking.
    Last edited by trs30; 2007-10-27 at 03:20.

Hi there.
    edit: when it is scanning i see the programs its scanning and i see zlob. or SOMETHING.zlob when i am looking.
    If you are speaking of the bar at the bottom of the Spybot screen, what you are seeing is the nasties that Spybot-S&D is scanning for, to make sure they are not on your machine.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-10-27 at 03:29. Reason: clarify

All of the zlob stuff things like keyloggers I.E. "ABCKeylogger", "PerfectKeylogger", Spyarsenal things like that i just know alot of these things are viruses and spybot wont get them. it seems lately only to be getting tracking cookies and thats all.

Hello,

That are no viruses - that are keyloggers and we already have them in our detections.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy is designed to find/remove spyware, malware, adware, trojans, hijackers and keyloggers.
    Please download the latest detection update (2007/10/24):
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    This should fix it.
    Or choose the direct installation file:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/upda...d_includes.exe

Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Further do you have the resident protection of Spybot activated? That's the way to activate it: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can tick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

If this doesn't solve the problem please send us your *complete* Spybot bug report: Run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to Advanced Mode via the menu item Mode, let it scan, try to fix the problems (!) and then go to "Tools --> View Report". Tick on all of the 10 checkboxes (leave "Do not report disabled or known legitimate items" unchecked) you can find there and click on "View Report". Now choose "Export" and save the file to your desktop. Please attach this file to your email and send it again to detections(at)spybot.info .

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I can confirm this, using Windows XP SP2. Almost nothing detected after installing spyware bundled desktop themes exept "eAcceleration". Using the latest databases and program as of 10/31/07. Everything in the "File Sets" sections were ticked exept the last two items.

Hi there.
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid1 View Post
    I can confirm this, using Windows XP SP2. Almost nothing detected after installing spyware bundled desktop themes exept "eAcceleration". Using the latest databases and program as of 10/31/07. Everything in the "File Sets" sections were ticked exept the last two items.
    It would be helpful when Spybot-S&D does not detect or remove an item, if the files could be found and sent to: detections(AT)spybot.info (Replace AT with @)

I do realise that isn't always possible.