Thread: Continual infection

Default Continual infection

Folks I am having a problem , that after installing all I can I still get spyware on my system.
    I am running :
    XP SP2 Professional

Firefox (with noscript), TeaTimer, Resident Spy Bot, SpywareBlaster, Ad-aware. Norton Client security (AV and Firewall). All with latest updates.

Here is my last list after a day just using Firefox, Outlook and Lotus Notes on my system..

Doubleclick
    Hitbox
    Bfast
    CurePCSSolution
    MediaPlex
    StatCounter
    WebTrendsLive

What I dont understand is if SpyBot can detect them after the event, with all resident protection why are they allowed in ?

I rememebr I could never get rid of Doubleclick and Hitbox on IE.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc.) are so-called tracking cookies. It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Tools"->"Resident" page. Checking the checkbox in front of SDHelper will enable the BrowserHelper.

Now open the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer and choose 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration'.
    There you will find a drop down menu which will appear giving you some options.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/s...d15/index.html (3rd picture)
    You should select "Block all bad pages silently".
    With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.
    Further choose "Spybot-S&D->Immunize" from the navigation bar on the left.
    Now the baddies are blocked.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot