Thread: spybot stuck

Default spybot stuck

Hi

I'm running Spybot 1.3 on WinXP. While visiting a website a while ago, something tried to install itself on my machine. I closed the window as fast as I could, then immediately ran Spybot. Spybot runs unusually slowly (has never happened before) and gets stuck on certain items (the last one I noticed was Cool Search) I tried running it a couple of times but it just wouldn't complete the process. Otherwise my computer seems to be running fine - not sure if I got infected with anything or not. Will run AntiVir right now. Any ideas about Spybot running slow/getting stuck?

Many thanks
    George

Hello gtrvox and welcome to the forum.

Spybot-S&D 1.4 Final has been released.
    Uninstalling Previous Spybot-S&D
    Spybot-S&D Version 1.4 Download

Tutorial

Please follow instructions above.

After installing version 1.4 open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available, close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found. Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except

Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items.
    uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
    Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.

Now select (near the top) view report.
    Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach (or post) that report please.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi

Tutorial

After installing version 1.4 open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available, close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found. Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except

Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach (or post) that report please.

Regards.
    Well, I followed all the instructions - now something is definitely fishy. After downloading the new version, "check for problems" takes all of 4 seconds (doesn't check anything!) and tells me "congratulations, no problems found". Geez, seems like exactly the opposite problem from what I had before. I'll try re-installing it...

George

Quote Originally Posted by tashi

Tutorial

Regards.
    OK, I reinstalled Spybot and everything went swimmingly! Here is the report. (had to break the file into 2 parts) There were a lot of items found! Thanks for your help!

George

Thank you George, I will ask Lonny to take a look at the logs as soon as he is back on-line.
    tashi.

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi

Those logs look fine, Are there any current problems or odd symtoms ?
    An updates sunjava version is avaiable (dont rely on its internal updated)
    Sun Java V1.5.0_04 is Available
    http://java.com/en/index.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by LonnyRJones
    Hi

Those logs look fine, Are there any current problems or odd symtoms ?
    An updates sunjava version is avaiable (dont rely on its internal updated)
    Sun Java V1.5.0_04 is Available
    http://java.com/en/index.jsp
    Hi Lonny

no current detectable problems. The "hung spybot" symptom seems to have been taken care of. Strangely, though, I'm running Spybot 1.3 on my laptop and it doesn't get stuck on that machine. Anyway, many thanks for your input - I'll look into the Java update

Cheers
    George