Thread: Spybot v1.5 = resource hog

Default Spybot v1.5 = resource hog

I am an IT professional who has used Spybot for 4+ years. I recently installed v1.5 on my server and laptop. My server is a Dell running a Xeon quad-core and WinXP SP2. When I run a v1.5 scan, it takes 30 - 35 percent of CPU resources.

On my Dell Inspiron 700m laptop running a Celeron (also WinXP SP2), either loading v1.5 or doing a scan virtually drains all CPU resources, making it impossible to surf the web. Below is a screenshot from the task manager showing what happened when I launched v1.5, and then started a scan.

I wonder if the v1.5 code could somehow be optimized. There is a significant resource overhead compared to prior versions.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

silverdoctor:

Quote Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
    I wonder if the v1.5 code could somehow be optimized. There is a significant resource overhead compared to prior versions.
    I can't address all of your concerns about optimizing the program, but I can address the excessive resource utilization during startup and possibly help you with surfing during a scan.

Please go into Spybot > Help > About and look at the version of Spybot 1.5 you are running.

If you are running Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.1.15, there were many reports of Spybot 1.5.1.15 starting slowly. The problem has been found and fixed. See the following tracking task (which includes a link for a fix to the problem):

In addition there is another beta version of Spybot 1.5 that solves the slow start as well as other known problems that have been encountered since the original release of Spybot 1.5:

Spybot is quite CPU intensive and always has been. If you are having difficulty running other things during a scan, you could try to lower the priority at which Spybot scans. If you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings > in the option tree under Main Settings there is a Scan priority section. Choose "lower" or "lowest". Please note that scan time will most likely increase if you are using the system actively but you should be able to get other things done.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I installed beta version as suggested by "md usa spybotfan". Here are the results upon launching and then scanning:

The loading problem is completely fixed. But the scan again usurps all the CPU resources.

I did NOT set the scan priority to lower as recommended. Will try this later and report back.

I set scan priority to "lowest" as suggested above. Although the CPU untlization remained at 100% on the Task Manager graph, surfing the web became normal.

Your suggestions have really helped. Thanks!