Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Download Detection Rules

Unhappy Download Detection Rules

I am trying to download the latest detection rules for 1.4. It shows the download as being complete but it is still running. I have tried this a number of times before but get the same results

Hello,

Many users have reported that they are not able to download updates. The 'Search for updates' reveals updates, but they cannot be downloaded. Often a 'HTTP Error 403' or 'bad checksum' is displayed. This has a simple reason - millions of people trying to download from the same server, which can't handle such a burden. In combination with the growing size of the detection file this is becoming a serious problem. We are currently considering possibilities to improve the situation. This includes the search for additional servers and ways of more effective compression. At least one server will soon be added, others will follow hopefully.

In order to overcome the problem for now, if you try again, have a second look at the menu bar. It has a pull-down item to select a mirror. Click the arrow beside it, and select a different location (try the ones locatest nearest to you first), where you'll most probably have better chances to download.

This information is also available in our FAQ:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/20.html

For more informations on updating please do also have a look at this link on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html
    In section 4 you'll see how to select a download location nearest to you.
    If this sounds too difficult please try to download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Suggestion

With todays updates, we've added a mirror named BN FileForum, which represents multiple servers all over the world. If you choose this mirror to download updates from, you should get a stable and fast update download.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK
    With todays updates, we've added a mirror named BN FileForum, which represents multiple servers all over the world. If you choose this mirror to download updates from, you should get a stable and fast update download.
    Unfortunately the update Include files currently contained on these servers are dated 10-14-05, so the download fails with a Bad Checksum after the very fast download.

I agree that the servers accessed by selecting BN FileForum are a very effective download system. I've done some tests from locations around the world and the latency for most locations is in the 20-40ms range, even less in much of the US. Only a few International locations with bad peering arrangements had latency numbers over 100ms and were often much greater due to obvious low bandwidth links, usually to the US mainland.

However, it appears there is a bug in the mirror server update process at this point making them unusable. I look forward to the time when these servers are fully operational; I believe this will end the overload issues we've been seeing lately and leave only the Proxy/Firewall or other client issues as sources of Bad Checksum errors in the future.

I had a problem even selecting the server to download. The initial setup of SpyBot 1.4 would not download automatically at all /nor allow me to select a mirror for download. Once I had manually downloaded/installed the first update file --it worked fine. A small conflict/bug perhaps??

WinXP SP2 all updates
    ZA Pro 6 " "
    AVG Pro 7.1

Unhappy Bad Checksum reports incorrectly.

The updater says 'Bad checksum' when in fact, it's another problem.

My firewall reports the following when trying to download from just about any one of the SpyBot sites...

TCP stateful inspection: Invalid SEQ; TCP packet dropped
    TCP stateful inspection: Invalid flag; TCP packet dropped
    TCP stateful inspection: TCP abort detected; TCP connection dropped

Some sites do NOT reply to a TCP SYN at all... even after several attempts while yet other sites will immediately send a RST to the initial SYN.

I've NOT been able to download since the latter part of August. I don't attempt to try a daily download, but of the 15-20 times I have tried during that period... I keep getting the same errors from my firewall.

I initially thought that my firewall might have been the problem so I put my PC on the WAN side of the firewall and now my ZoneAlarm PRO gives off similar errors.

FWIW

Thumbs up

This includes the search for additional servers and ways of more effective compression. At least one server will soon be added, others will follow hopefully.
    First, it's great to see the new site is up. Props to ya' PepiMK

I am of course encouraging my SpyBot users to also turn to the mirrors for their updates and if experiencing any difficulties to bring them up for discussion so i can pass them over here for review, at this time are you able to offer any definitive date of the scheduled addition of this new server?

Thanks EASTER

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EASTER
    ... at this time are you able to offer any definitive date of the scheduled addition of this new server?
    This server was added 2005-10-21:
    BN FileForum (World)=http://dl.betanews.com

Unfortunately, as bitman indicated in the following post it has updates from 2005-10-14 on it and results in "Bad Checksum" errors:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=52&postcount=4

Esteemed Member

Default New server - BN FileForum

EASTER: If you'll continue to read the thread above, specifically the posts by PepiMK and myself, you'll notice that the new 'server', BN FileForum, is already operating. However, it unfortunately contains old updates from last week at this point, so it downloads quickly but then fails.

You'll notice that we also discuss that this one listed server is really several servers positioned in strategic locations around the world, thus the inclusion of (World) in the title.

The result is that the BN FileForum servers themselves are an excellent addition to the update system and are likely to outperform a few of the existing servers, if not make all others unnecessary. The automated system used to select among the BN FileForum servers is very effective and results in much better latency for most downloads, especially in the US and for those in Europe and Asia who's ISP's have good peering arrangements.

However, until the Detections Include files are updated from the Oct. 14th to the Oct. 21st version, selecting the BN FileForum (World) server(s) will result in Bad Checksum error messages, because they are the incorrect files.

Hopefully this will be rectified early Monday when PepiMK is back in the office.

Hopefully this will be rectified early Monday when PepiMK is back in the office
    Sounds like a winning proposition to me, thanks again. I'll forego any detailed explainations to my group and just point them to this week coming up on that. I'll test it myself also to confirm corrections were successful for you on this end too.

Welcome... [link]
    ... to www.spybot.info, the home of Spybot-S&D, the best (according to PC World, PCMag.com, Download.com...) privacy software available!
    Best of Luck and Success With This New Support Board and continued Success with the Program!
    Last edited by EASTER; 2005-10-23 at 23:55.