Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I now have 2 Spybot S&D in Add/Remove...what to do?

Default I now have 2 Spybot S&D in Add/Remove...what to do?

Hi! I have Spybot S&D 1.4 but few minutes ago I installed Spybot S&D 1.5 without uninstalling first the version 1.4(i read in other forum that I can install the version 1.5 without uninstalling version 1.4 but expect to have two entries in the Uninstall list--fine I can live with that). What I didn't expect was having also 2 entries in my Add/Remove Program for Spybot--one for Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4(20.05MB) and another one Spybot Search & Destroy(i suppose it's the version 1.5=22.86MB). Is it normal or do I have to remove the version 1.4? I also now have 2 desktop icon for Spybot but both of them load the new version 1.5 so I suppose I'll just delete the previous icon. I've also read this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=20023 in this forum and I don't want to have some added deleted files when uninstalling version 1.4(the problem of thread starter) that is why I am turning to this forum for help/advise. Thanks!

And yes, I noticed that the new version is now slow to load...but I can live with it. What's important is the protection Spybot S&D gives me which I've come to trust in my 1 year of love affair with my pc.
    Windows XP MCE(SP3),IE7 & FireFox3(default),HostsMan,AVG Free 8,CCleaner,MBAM,SUPERAntispyware,F-Secure BlackLight AntiRootKit,ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.483

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

cromwell1230:

To completely uninstall Spybot-S&D including any system registry entries or files that may have been altered while using various features of Spybot:
    • Go into Spybot > Immunize
      • Click "Undo" button (at the top)
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
      • Uncheck (if checked) the following:
        • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.
      • Uncheck (if checked) any of the following "Miscellaneous locks":
        • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
        • Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
        • Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)
    • Exit Spybot-S&D
    • Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.
    • Go to Windows > Control panel > Add or Remove Programs > Locate "Spybot – Search & Destroy 1.5" > Remove.
    • Since you also have "Spybot – Search & Destroy 1.4" in Add or Remove Programs attempt to Remove that.
    • Using Windows explorer, verified that the following folder has been delete. If not, delete it:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
      Note: If you were running "SDHelper" you will have to exit all Internet Explorer sessions and may have to restart your system in order to delete the program folder.
    • If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that (I recommend that you do this since some registry entries that were used in Soybot 1.4 are no longer used in Spybot 1.5). See the following article:

I recommend that you download and install the following version of Spybot 1.5 that solves the slow start as well as other known problems that have been encountered since the original release of Spybot 1.5:

As far as the alleged problems encountered by Dave in Wales[/url], I have never heard of anyone else encountering that type problem uninstalling Spybot. I always uninstall Spybot before installing a new version and have never encountered a problem.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi md usa spybot fan! I followed your step-by-step procedure on how to resolve my problem of having 2 Spybot S&D in my Add/Remove Programs...so far no problem up to your 8th bulleted step...but I haven't finished all your suggestions yet. I am stucked in your 9th bulleted step that says "If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that (I recommend that you do this since some registry entries that were used in Soybot 1.4 are no longer used in Spybot 1.5)." And then you gave the link about receiving the error message "framedyn.dll is missing"? My question is Do I have to do this(download the .reg file) when in fact when I tested double-clicking System in Control Panel, or right-clicking My Computer and then click Properties, I did not receive any error messages("rundll32.exe - Unable To Locate Component" and/or "This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem")? I was thinking this step might not apply to me...so I'm consulting you again in this matter. But I certainly want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed...before I install the Helloween Edition - beta 1 that you are suggesting.

I'll wait for your reply...I'm not proceeding yet on your 9th bulleted step. Thanks!
    Windows XP MCE(SP3),IE7 & FireFox3(default),HostsMan,AVG Free 8,CCleaner,MBAM,SUPERAntispyware,F-Secure BlackLight AntiRootKit,ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.483

Here you go:How to uninstall.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
    That's the link md meant to post.You don't need to follow the framedyn.dll instructions,that's for another issue.Cheers.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2007-11-12 at 11:24.

Hi Zenobia! Thanks for guiding me. How do I download and execute the link you gave me? When I click on the link you provided("this very small fix") what comes up is some registry language(whatever you call it). I'm not that knowledgeable in Registry. Please give me more hint. Thanks!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Sorry about the bad URL.

Download the following file (save it to a known location):

After the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg file is downloaded:
    • Double click on it.
    • Answer Yes then OK

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi again! Finished downloading & executing the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg file...whew! Didn't know that's as simple as that. I've also now downloaded the Helloween Edition - beta 1 and have done the first scan and noticed that it is quick in loading now and faster. All of this I've done in the Admin User account. When I try to use Spybot S&D in the Limited User account I noticed these observations:
    1. I can't fully immunized everything...it says I need to elevate to Administrator rights to do what I want to immunize. How do I correct this or How do I go about this elevation to Admin while in the Limited User account?
    2. Also when I go to Tools and click "Resident" I noticed that the option for Resident SD Helper protection is not highlighted and there's no way for me to check/activate it. The Resident Teatimer however is highlighted and checked already. How can I have Resident SD Helper(IE) protection in the Limited User account?
    3. Also same problem with Tools>IE Tweaks...I am being warned that I do not have Admin rights and must elevate myself as Admin to do the IE Tweaks. Also, do I need to check all three both in Admin & Limited account? My default browser is Firefox, I use IE only sparingly.

Thanks again and I'll await further instructions from you.

Your operating system is XP?
    Did you try immunizing from the admin user account?I checked,and after I immunized on the administrator account,the limited account was immunized.
    Same for resident SDHelper,when I checkmarked that in the admin account,it was checkmarked in the limited account,though still greyed out.
    I'm not sure about question 3,since I forgot to check that out,but I don't think there's any way you could checkmark "Lock IE start page setting",or "Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE" in Spybot from a limited account without admin rights.You can checkmark those two in the admin account,but it should only work in the admin account,since those two options are for the current user only.Checkmarking "Lock Hosts file read only as protection against hijackers" from the administrator account should work on both accounts,though,if I'm remembering that correctly.

You're right Zenobia! I checked on my pc again after reading your reply. Here's my observation: Logged into the Admin account, I opened Spybot and when I click on Immunize(the one on the left column) it goes thru the process of immunizing my pc...all protected(76831 items)=0 unprotected. When I click Immunize (again)(this time the one on the top row with plus sign before Immunize)...it goes thru the process of immunization again with same result=all 76831 items protected. No problem. When I click on Tools>Resident both Resident "SD Helper" & "Teatimer" are checked. And when I click on Tools>IE Tweaks the "Lock Hosts file read-only as protection" is checked, the other two are unchecked. Fine, again no problem. Now when I logged into the Limited account...open Spybot and click Immunize(the one on the left column) an "Error Message" will pop-out saying "You are missing admin rights to perform this action. If you need to do this, please run this application elevated as an Administrator." Then I'l click OK and the error message will disappear and Spybot will go to the process of immunizing the Limited account...all 61491 items protected=0 unprotected. Now, when I click on Immunize(again)(this time the one on the top row with plus sign before Immunize)...a Warning Message will appear saying "This action may not be performed completely since you are not an Administrator. If you want this performed for all users, please run the application elevated as an Administrator." Then I'l click OK and the warning message will disappear and Spybot will go to the process of immunizing the Limited account again but this time some protection will be deactivated specifically IE(32 bit & 32/64 bit) but Firefox items and Windows items remain both protected. Now, why is that so? I can't remember that happening in Spybot 1.4...no error or warning message in Spybot 1.4 when clicking those buttons(the 2 Immunize buttons) while in Limited User account.

Please see this quote from md usa spybot fan:
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    You cannot fully immunize from a limited account because a limited account does not normally have the proper permissions on all the registry hives were immunization is done. Nothing has changed in that respect from Spybot 1.4 to Spybot 1.5, it just is reported differently so that it more apparent in Spybot 1.5 than it was in Spybot 1.4.
    hth.