Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Updates in SSD 1.5.1.17 (beta)

Default Latest Updates in SSD 1.5.1.17 (beta)

I just downloaded and installed the latest SSD updates (11/14/2007) in version 1.5.1.17 (beta). To my surprise, the immunization lists for Firefox (Cookies, Images, Installations, Popups) are all doubled. I use only the first; the others are unchecked. None of these lists was doubled before the latest definition updates were downloaded. The Opera Plugins immunization list is also duplicated: one is under the heading "Opera 7+"; the other is under "Opera 7+ 9.24.8876.0".

It appears that the Firefox Cookie immunizations are applied only once, not twice as doubling the lists might imply. This ought to be cleared up before the beta takes wing as a released version.

I had these "doubles" for Firefox since 1.5.0...

Further to my earlier post: I have now tested the latest SSD 1.5.1.18 (beta2) and find that the Firefox immunizations are doubled there also. Unlike pwillener (preceding post), I did not notice the doubling until the updates of 11/14/2007. In fact, I had observed about 22,000 total unprotected items previously (3 x 7200 or so), but now see 45,000 (6 x 7500)! I have not verified what happens if I add these to FF's hostperm.1 file because I don't want to have to remove them again: it takes far too long.

Are all those extra immunizations for FF even necessary? They appear to be duplicates of the host file immunizations (notice how the no. of protectable items for the two are the same). All they do is slow down the opening of the "Tools > Options... > Content > Block Pop-up windows > Exceptions" and "Load images automatically > Exceptions..." windows.

Could you please post your OS?
    I'm wondering if the double Firefox entries have to do with the roaming profile handling on Vista (where maybe two paths would lead to the same files).

Regarding unimmunization taking to long, see issue Speed up Firefox un-immunization :-)

Regarding "duplicates", I really need to make myself a prewritten answer for that, I'll give some keywords only for now Multiple layers of protection, malware disabling one might not disable all, and more important: a requested feature from many of our users
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

The thing is, this "extra protection" cripples various aspects of Firefox's performance, and even Spware Blaster's. You shouldn't have to reduce your systems performance to make it more secure.

Yep, tell that to the people who requested it, and who said Spybot-S&D wouldn't be supporting Firefox because it wasn't there Two sides, you can't make both of them happy I'm afraid by either having or not having the option

I think the optimal solution would be to look into the Firefox code and find out the algorithm that is used to check against this list; I'm pretty sure it's insufficient for large amounts of data, creating a patch that uses something more efficient, like a Aho-Corasick trie, and submitting that to the Firefox team. Well, or at least request that in the Firefox forums.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

You should at least remove the "image protection" as it serves no purpose what so ever. How can images possibly install malware on a system? Sure it could be used to help help install malware, but what are the chances of someone having the host protection disabled, visiting one the random sites in hosts file, and clicking on one of their image/ links, choosing to download the file/ whatever, and taking any additional steps necessary to infect their system? If they got to that point, they must already be infected with malware anyway...

Where can I download the latest Beta of SpyBot? I have version 1.5.1.15 with 1.5.1.16 patch which fix me slow start of SSD but I would like to try 1.5.1.17 or 18 beta.

Hello,

This is the new Spybot beta: http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/b...15he-beta2.exe

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot