Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resident SDHelper and statcounter

Default Resident SDHelper and statcounter

Hello,

I just upgraded from version 1.4 to 1.5 and now I have an issue - I can't even start an IE session to statcounter.com (I manage there my web site statistics).

First, I tried to exclude the site's cookie, but it didn't help.
    Then, I found that only disabling the Resident SDHelper allowed me to use statcounter.com with IE.

So, on the one hand I wish to use the Resident SDHelper to protect me, but on the other hand I also wish to use statcounter.com with IE.

Is there a way for me to edit the Resident SDHelper protection list, so I can exclude there statcounter.com?

Thanks in advance!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

eitanc:

www.statcounter.com is a blacklisted URL in "SDHelper".

To stop "SDHelper" from blocking this URL, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:
    options:
    • Block all pages silently
    • Display dialog when blocking
    • Ask for blocking confirmation
    Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".

When you encounter a URL that would ordinarily just be blocked in "Block all pages silently" mode, Spybot will issue a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog. The dialog allows you to either "Allow" or "Deny" the access and also to select among the following options:
    • Ask me again next time
    • Remember for this session
    • Always react this way

When you encounter a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog for www.statcounter.com, select "Always react this way" and then "Allow" the access.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks, but...

First of all, thanks for the direction.

1. I believe it will be nice if near the checkbox of the sdhelper there will be a text directing users to this dialog box.

2. I tried it and it is very limited, up to not-for-use:
    A. It will work ONLY if you use the dialog box in the "ASK" mode. Both other options will lead to denying of the same URL, although it is now in the list as "allow" and "always"...
    I think that it will be nice if the "allow" exception will work when the "silently block" option is ON and it will block only all of the OTHER, non-allowed urls.

B. The exception list is not editable at all, no right-mouse-click or keyboard keys (like deleted). That's no good.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    eitanc:

www.statcounter.com is a blacklisted URL in "SDHelper".

To stop "SDHelper" from blocking this URL, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:
    options:
    • Block all pages silently
    • Display dialog when blocking
    • Ask for blocking confirmation
    Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".

When you encounter a URL that would ordinarily just be blocked in "Block all pages silently" mode, Spybot will issue a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog. The dialog allows you to either "Allow" or "Deny" the access and also to select among the following options:
    • Ask me again next time
    • Remember for this session
    • Always react this way

When you encounter a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog for www.statcounter.com, select "Always react this way" and then "Allow" the access.
    I did this when my wife wanted iWon.com, and IE7 still wouldn't display the page after the [Allow]. Tuning off Immunize works.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Default Well...

Turning off Immunize I guess will surly work, but that will be like turning off your S&D defense...

Try upgrading to the latest version (1.5.2), I did, and now it looks like this issue is gone. maybe they fixed it.

Best luck!

Eitan

fidmas:

Unlike access to statcounter.com that is just blocked by Spybot's SDHelper BHO, iwon.com is a added to Internet Explorer's Restricted zone sites and added to the HOSTS file by Spybot's immunization process.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

fidmas:

Unlike access to statcounter.com that is just blocked by Spybot's SDHelper BHO, iwon.com is a added to Internet Explorer's Restricted zone sites and added to the HOSTS file by Spybot's immunization process.
    So *is* there a way to allow the exception? I took to out of "Restricted Zone" sites and made sure it wasn't in the HOSTS file. At least I thought I did. /-)

I'm confused........

fidmas:

In order to access iwon.com you must either do an immunization "Undo" or individually remove iwon.com from the restricted zone and the HOSTS file. There is no facility with spybot to ignore certain sites during immunization.

fidmas:

In order to access iwon.com you must either do an immunization "Undo" or individually remove iwon.com from the restricted zone and the HOSTS file. There is no facility with spybot to ignore certain sites during immunization.
    I removed it from the Restricted Zone AND the HOSTS file. IE7 still says "Restricted Sites". Maybe the IP is in a list. I give up for now. I don't really want her there anyway. ;-/

Thanks.

fidmas:

When Spybot immunizes it places the same "Restricted sites" zone entries in multiple registry hives. The entry placed in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE by Spybot for the corresponding iwon.com entry that you probably removed from the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive via Internet Explorer is most likely why iwon.com is still showing up in the "Restricted sites" zone.

It may be wise that you do not access iwon.com. However, if it going to cause a family feud over not being to access iwon.com without exposing yourself to other possible problems by eliminating Spybot's immunization altogether, please start an independent thread and we can try to figure out some way overcome the fact that Spybot does not have an exclusion feature for particular sites (iwon.com in this case) in its immunization process.